1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofers Capabilities?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John H, May 31, 2001.

1. John H

John H Second Unit

I have been using a pair of corner loaded Def Tech PF18TL's in my 2048 cu ft room for a few years now.
    All 6 channels are calibrated to the same level and the 5 channels are highpassed at 80Hz.
    I listen to all my material at my preference level which is 7dB below reference.
    Would I benefit from replacing the PF18's with a pair of SVS 16-46CS models in this situation?
    John
    ------------------
    http://community-2.webtv.net/BP2000/HomeTheater

2. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

John,
    That's a good question being that you use 18" drivers - a pair of 'em! [​IMG]
    But anyhow, you might benefit to the SVS models since regardless of DT model, it's highly probable that they roll off in the 30-40Hz region.
    JD
    ------------------

3. John H

John H Second Unit

I wouldn't doubt it. I have only taken some crude measurments and they seem to be down quite a bit at 20Hz.
    There dosen't seem to be any available real world output information on this model. At least none that I can find.
    Def Tech rates it's extension down to 13Hz but I know how that goes.
    John
    ------------------
    http://community-2.webtv.net/BP2000/HomeTheater

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

John, if I remember correctly...you have a smaller than average room...around 1600 cu-ft maybe?(well sealed too right?)
    You already have dual 18s which with room gain might indeed be flat down to at least 20hz or so. And I think you still have that *kickass* buttkicker setup too? Plus...you have a bunch of signal manips for the bass right(phase coupled activator or an alternate.)?
    Anyway...you're basically *loaded* already. What type of DVD scenes are you thinking might not be giving you all the bass you want to feel?
    TV

5. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    Welcome to the club. I have had the Ultra for a week and think it is awesome! It is now being used with two Paradigm servo-15s. I am seriously thinking of selling them, and adding another Ultra! Even by itself, I am feeling bass I did'nt notice with the servos. ENJOY!

6. Andy Bell

Andy Bell Stunt Coordinator

Whoops!
    Somehow i posted on the wrong thread. My comments were for Ron M, who had mentioned he ordered a svsubwoofer ultra sub. Sorry!

7. John H

John H Second Unit