What's new

Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Tom_fran

Auditioning
Im pretty new to having a home theater and I have a couple of questions on subwoofers. My subwoofer has a cutoff knob. It ranges from 50 to 200. What exactly is that and where should I set it? Also, I just finished watching Backdraft and I noticed for the most part that the subwoofer barely turned on. Not much subwoofer action at all. Is that normal for some movies? Thanks very much.

Catman

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
I take it that you are talking about the low pass crossover of the sub.

If you are using the bass management of the receiver/processor and are using the sub out jack of the receiver to the sub, set the knob to 100hz. The LFE channel of dolby digital/dts has the potential of going up to 110hz. The receiver will redirect all non-LFE bass to the sub by whatever freq you have setup in your speaker configuration setup.

If you are using the sub for supplementing the bass in analog stereo listening and are using the speaker line inputs, then set the knob slightly below the -3db cut off of your speakers. If your sub also has a high pass freq control, you would have to experiment with both settings to achieve the smoothest transition points.

These are just a starting point, you may have to fine tune according to your speaker/room boundary interactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks