Subwoofer Woes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Killmon, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Brian Killmon

Brian Killmon Auditioning

Hello,

I just purchased a Kenwood VR-6070 Receiver and a NS-P220 Yamaha 5.1 package with an additional 6th speaker. Long story but, I can't get anything out of the subwoofer. Should I be hearing anything from the subwoofer? The Kenwood has a bass peak menu but nada. I'm running my subwoofer through the front speakers via wire now, and if I turn off the subwoofer in the Kenwood's menu I can get bass out of the bass peak menu but this originates from the front two speakers. The subwoofer, btw, is on, and I've gotten it to "go green" in standby mode. This to me indicates that sound is indeed passing into the subwoofer.

I've tried it by wiring and pre-out rca cable. No difference.

Could it be an improper voltage setting? That's the only setting the subwoofer has besides volume.

Thanks for your time.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'm running my subwoofer through the front speakers via wire now

You need to take the sub out of that setup, and use a single RCA cable instead of the speaker wire. Hook it up to the SUB OUT jack on the receiver, it's located in the pre-amp out section of this receiver. Then, go into the speaker menu, and set all your speakers to SMALL, and the subwoofer to ON, and you should be set. The only other possibility is that the sub is broken, or not plugged in/turned on or some such thing. Most likely it's the setup menu, along with your setup.

Check back if this solves the problem or not. Also, you should think about calibrating the system. That's important. YOu might also try acessing the subwoofer menu and changing the volume settings a little bit. Lastly, turn up the subwoofer peak setting as high as it goes to make sure that that is not limiting output. Once you get it working, then you can dial in the peak setting if you want, and adjust the sub output. Ideally you should not do this willy-nilly but by using an SPL meter and Avia.

3. Brian Killmon

Well,
    I hooked up the rca output on the Kenwood pre-out again. No luck. However, the Kenwood receiver I own does not have a small speaker setting but "Normal/THX" instead. Any ideas?

4. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

If you are running the sub via the speaker wire method then you need to tell your system that you do not have a sub connected. Also, you need to set the L/R speakers to Large. What this does is it causes the processor to send all bass and LFE to the L/R speakers (an thru the sub) thus improving your overall bass.

If you use the single sub RCA cable then you'd want to do the opposite. Set the L/R speakers to small and make sure you turn the subwoofer setting 'on'. This will cause the processor to send the bass and LFE to the sub out connection.

Also be sure to adjust the sub's crossover to your liking.

-Jeramy

5. DaveVan

DaveVan Extra

Check page 23 of the manual. There are several settings you need to check.
    Set the front speakers to NML/THX, if you set them to LARGE then you also need to set SW RE-MIX to ON.

Make sure the RCA cable is connected to the single subwoofer connector below the center channel connector, NOT to the surround back/subwoofer connector.

Set BASS PEAK to OFF. Once you have sound from the sub, then set this to avoid distortion at high volume setting.

6. Brian Killmon

I thank you all for your suggestions but nothing seems to be working. I will ask, finally, if it could be the voltage setting on the back of the subwoofer set improperly. It's about the only thing I haven't tried. What would happen if I tried the other setting?

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What about the level control in back of the sub?

And have you checked to see if the fuse might need replacing?

8. Brian Killmon

As a followup, I figured out the problem. It was indeed the voltage setting on the back of the subwoofer. Seems obvious but, fearing blowing it out, i hesitated to flip it. Having done so, however, it's working properly.