Subwoofer with range down to 20Hz under $500?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Paul*V, May 6, 2003.

1. Paul*V

Paul*V Auditioning

I'm looking for recommendations on a subwoofer under $500 that has a frequency range down to 20Hz. What do you guys think?

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Do you have any power tools? Router, jigsaw, drill, etc?

You could easily do this by building a DIY sub.

Check out the DIY Forum. Especially the Sonotube project links near the top of that page. You can get some ideas there.

I built a Tempest Sonotube for right around $300, but I had an old Pro-Logic receiver lying around that I'm using as amplification.

JKS

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

If not you can find an SVS 25-31pci for That price in B-Stock once in a while...need to look often.

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The VEL Ct120 was one of the few

5. Arup

Arup Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha YST-SW800 for $449 at e-bay. 800Watts sub which goes down to 18Hz and sounds musical.

6. Albert Damico

Albert Damico Stunt Coordinator

I believe I saw somebody on Audigon who had several, brand new, Ifinity HPS1000 subs for sale. 18-120Hz, 1000 Watts, 15" downfiring woofer and two 15" passive radiators. Allows for control of Phase, gain, crossover, inputs, and EQ. This unit was ahead of its time and I have never heard a crisper, cleaner, sub. At any price IMO

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

The Infinity HPS-1000 is a great sub but the guy at audiogon wants $699, which breaks Paul's budget.

8. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I think for 50 or a 100 bucks more you can increase your choices greatly.

9. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

What about the HSU VTF-2? A lot of bang for the buck for around $450..

$0.02

10. Frank Carter

Paul,

You should contact Kyle at www.acoustic-visions.com or Brian Bunge at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com with your budget and bass goals. They can custom build you a sub to match your needs. Both of them frequent this forum. I've never had anything done through them but their prices are quite reasonable.

11. Paul*V

Paul*V Auditioning

Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions. As with any home theater purchase, you inevitably exceed your budget, although it seems that I should be able to get what I'm looking for from Hsu or SVS (or perhaps Rutledge or Acoustic Visions?) for around $500 or perhaps just a little more than $500. I'll be replacing a JBL PSW-D110 (which still works, but I've recently started upgrading my system and, well, you all know how that goes).

12. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

My Hsu TN1220 was a bought for a little over $400; however, since it is a passive sub, I had to buy an amplifier, and to take advantage of the lowest response of the unit, I had to purchase a Hsu Bass Optimizer ($100, it really works!).

Factoring in the cost of amplification, it is almost impossible to get a flat response down to 20 Hz for under $500, unless you stumble upon a very good deal on a used setup.

13. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Adire Audio subs.

14. Frank Carter

It is very difficult but I think it can be done without going used. The reason I recommended the custom built subs above is becuase I recently found out Kyle charged a guy(from the Klipsch forum), $500 for sub a which was comprised of a Styke AV-15, 2 18" passive radiators, and I think it had an oak finish. I don't know if that's normal pricing or if they had a special deal going on but it's one heck of a sub for $500.

Now I know that doesn't take in the cost of amplification but if you take a less expensive woofer than the AV-15(like the Tempest), go with ports instead of passive radiators(this really reduces the cost), and a black paint finish instead of veneer then this would *probably* allow for a plate amp within the $500 budget.

No way to know for sure unless Paul contacts them. Besides this or used, the best bet is DIY. With a $500 DIY budget, solid high output at 20hz(and below) is a piece of cake.

15. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Can you do an infinite baffle sub? For more info on IB subs go to "Cult of the Infinitely Baffled" http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/index.htm . Two 15" Tempests drivers from Adire $300, plate amp from partsexpress approx $100, and the remaining parts- MDF or plywood, 12ga. wire, etc. with the remaining $100. Will beat any none IB sub under several times the price.

16. Paul*V

Paul*V Auditioning

I've narrowed down my choices to:
    SVS 20-36 PCi $599 (+~$50 shipping)
    Hsu VTF-2 $449 (no shipping - I'm local and can pick up)
    Adire Rava $399 (+~$50 shipping)

You guys have any thoughts as between these three?

17. Frank Carter

It seems as if you want the highest output you can get down low. The 20-39Pci is easily your best choice.

18. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Paul,

Among your 3 finalists, I'd go w/ HSU mainly because it's within your budget, esp. w/ no shipping.

Here's a face off review from SVS's website that you may find interesting. It's the SVS 25-31PCi vs. the HSU VTF-3, but some of the results may still be relevant and helpful as you make your decision.

JKS

19. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

Call Kyle at Acoustic-Visions.com. For your budget, you can get more bang for your buck than the three choices that you have listed. If you don't have the tools to do a DIY sub, he can sell you a complete kit that you can put together. Tell him what your goals are, he won't steer you wrong.