What's new

Subwoofer with digital input and remote? (1 Viewer)

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I want a better listening system for my mp3’s on my computer. Looking around I found the Logitech Z-5500 and Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 systems that have a feature I need. Basically the system controllers take in a digital input and there is even a remote control on the Z-5500 system.

Here’s the thing. I have a pair of old Epicure model 5 bookshelfs (over 15 years old!) that I’m in love with for music. They have a rich and full sound that just kills all the current satellite speaker systems out there. I currently have these fed off my Creative Inspire 5.1 computer sub (LOL) for a very respectable sound but this is just temporary.

In a perfect world I would buy a sub or a satellite system that has these options:

•Adjustable Cross-over to the bookshelf’s or at least no higher than 80hz. I bet most are at 120. I may consider 100hz but I think 80 would be the sweet spot with my speakers.
•Digital input
•Be somewhat compact (no receivers, etc)
•Remote Control for volume (last on the specs)

I know this is a pipe dream but the Logitech Z-5500 comes close. I wonder what it’s cross is set at. I bet 120 which is a deal breaker. Are there any home theater subs that might fit the specs?

If I can’t find something, I have a spare pre-amp in the closet (Marantz AV-550) that I could use and pick up an amp and sub but this doesn’t satisfy the compact area. I don’t want my computer work area cluttered with audio gear. I plan on hanging a pair of shelves up for the speakers.

Another alternative I am thinking about is seeing how the Denon S-101 sounds. It’s pricey and by the looks of the speakers I highly doubt it would satisfy my ears with music. This system will be my main music listening area, CD's, MP3's, etc.

All opinions welcomed.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What do you mean by digital input? There are no subs with a digital input, AFAIK. Few subs come with remotes. It's a nice feature, but also usually an added cost, which is why it is much less common.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks