What's new

Subwoofer Wiring (1 Viewer)

Tim Simko

Auditioning
Should I wire my front L/R speakers thru my twin Velodyne subs (FSR-1200's) or should I hook up my subs & speakers directly to my Yamaha DSP-A1. If a direct cable hookup for the subs is recommended, what type of cable would you suggest?

Also I've got bi-wire capability with my fronts & center. I want to try this & see if it sounds better. How would you terminate the twin lines at the amp?

Thanks in advance. Glad to join all of you!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Using the speaker level connection sends a full-range, full-current signal to the sub and the filtering is done at the sub. This method does not relieve the Yammy amp of full range high-current bass duty.

The sub out method filters the signal before it hits the amp stage and the Yammy amp load will be considerably lighter, having only to drive the speaks from (say) approximately 80 Hz and up (high pass filter rate not withstanding). This often results in a noticeable clarity improvement in the mids and highs and makes the amp appear more dynamic than its power ratings would otherwise suggest.

I recommend a direct sub pre-out connection to the Velo's with a quality Y splitter off the pre-out and two sub cables.

Set your filter point at the Yammy and make sure to bypass the subs' filters by using the LFE (unfiltered) inputs on the Velos. If you cannot bypass the Velo's filter, then set it all the way to its highest setting to avoid cascading the Yammy filter and the Velo filter.

I use Monster sub cable, but there are any number of decent brands out there. I like the build quality and the shielding, whether it necessarily sounds better than a regular RCA patch cord is another story.

Regards,

Ed

Tim Simko

Auditioning
Thanks for your reply! I'll give your suggestion a try. You make a lot of sense. I had assumed, incorrectly, that hooking up via speaker level connections relieved the amp.
Doooh!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks