subwoofer VS pre-amp X-over setting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Jul 11, 2002.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I think that it is recommended by many that you set the cross over in the pre-amp and bi-pass the crossover in the subwoofer amp. I tried this for the first time tonight and hate it!!! I was playing with my dads new Rotel 1066 pre/pro, and when I ONLY rely on the sub setting in that unit (even way down at 40Hz) I get way tooo much mid-bass hmmmm. it sounds like crap. I actually tried this way back with a Yamaha receiver with the same results.

Why do people recommend doing it that way, obviously (in theory) it should work better, but it didn't the 2 times I have tried it, what gives???

2. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Try raising your x-over point and turn down the sublevel(on the subwoofer) as these two adjustments interact, if you are hearing midbass humm it is coming from your speakers, by crossing over at a higher Hz, you relieve some of the pressure off of the mains allowing them to "work" easier.Also if the sub has a bypass input use this.

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

David, sorry I wasn't clear

The mid-bass garbage is coming from the sub (not the mains) and it is ugly!!

4. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Rodney
    I still think you have your sub level(on the sub) too high.have you tested all the speakers with a sound level meter or are you setting levels by ear?What about the Bass boost and/or loudness control on the preamp?

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

No bass boost or loudness, I haven't calibrated it yet, but I will, I just wanted to know everyones thoughts on the theory.