Subwoofer Volume Problem

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ramon, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Ramon

Ramon Auditioning

Hi everyone, I am experiencing some problems with my new Yamaha RX-SL80, I connected my active subwoofer to the LFE and I have to turn the volume of the subwoofer all the way up to hear the low frequencies. I have tried every setup possibility of the receiver and nothing (for example changing the front speakers to small)… on the other hand, if I connect the cd player directly to the “Line In” of the subwoofer, I cannot turn the Subwoofer’s volume pass 3, because is so loud…

Is this the way the LFE is supposed to work?

Thanks everybody.

2. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

If no information is being sent to the LFE channel its not going to have any output. You also need to make sure the LFE level is set correctly.

3. John S

John S Producer

On what content? Not all content has anything the sub can use in it, so the sub nor the LFE out has much if anything on it.

Your CD player when connected normally doesn't have strong output through it? Most LFE will do LFE+what is available lower than a selectable or fixed cross over frequency.

4. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

If your sub does not have a low pass filter, it may not be a good idea to hook up the line out of your cd player directly. I am assuming that you have not calibrated your system? If you have a auto senseing sub, the level may not be high enough to trigger it. Cal it and if you still get no output, turn the volume up and see what happens.

5. Gralen

Gralen Stunt Coordinator

I never heard of the Yamaha you have but on mine you have to go to the menu and set the bass on either subwoofer only or both main and subwoofer. If you have it on main you will not get any bass from the sub at all. Also you have to have the sub calibrated properly and the sub and the mains set properly. My receiver is a old Yamaha 1200 and I almost had to take my sub back because I didnt have the sub woofer signal level on

6. Ramon

Ramon Auditioning

Thank you all for your comments. What I ended up doing was setting the volume of the main speakers to -4dB and the subwoofer to +6dB. Although I set the volume of the subwoofer at 12 o'clock, very high in my opinion.

If I connect the “Tape Monitor Out” of the receiver to the subwoofer “Line In” (not the LFE), I get a signal with a super high volume, and I am forced to reduce the volume of the subwoofer to a more reasonable setting. Which signal is the right one? Could there be something wrong with the LFE of the receviver or the Sub? I get a clean signal on both, but the volume differece is really big

The main speakers are the PolkAudio RTi6 and the sub is the Klipsch RW-12.

Thank you all again!