Subwoofer vibration Question???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VinR, Jan 11, 2003.

1. VinR

VinR Auditioning

I recently moved, at my old house my subwoofer was on concrete tile floor and it sounded perfect... at this house there is a basement(which I'm not using YET) so the floor is hollow below the subwoofer and it almost seems like there is extra vibrations or echos maybe, i'm thinking it's because of the hollow floor. It seemed crisper when it was on the concrete floor. I have a Velodyne CT100 10" sub. I have sub volume to 3/4, then use the master volume for the adjusting during Viewing. Any suggestions on what i could due?? other then lower the volume...

Thanks
    Vin

2. Oliver Closoff

Oliver Closoff Auditioning

Well I'm no HT expert but here's my 2 cents:
    Any speaker will sound just a bit different when moved to an entirely different room. The floor and wall coverings, as well as the size and contents of the room will affect how sound reflects, or doesn't reflect, whithin the room.
    I would try moving the location of the sub if you can, or experiment with turning the sub to face a different way. (I believe the CT100 is forward firing, correct me if I'm wrong.) I would suggent turning it toward something soft and sound absorbing, like a cloth couch, if your getting an echo effect. I have a downward firing sub and it changes the sound completely when I place it on a hard surface instead of the carpet.

3. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Of course it is because of the different floor, welcome to the 50hz room bump club, almost sounds dirty, maybe a good name for a night club. . . .Lets see. . Now Apearing at The 50hz Room Bump Club. . . herrreees 50. . not funny???