Subwoofer vibrating the door

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Evan H, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

I'm in need of some help from the experts on this one. I'm moving into a new apartment next week.

Later on this week, I hope to have some pics posted to seek advice on the placement of everything (it's a studio apartment in Manhattan) but before I even get to that point, I know that the front door of the place leaks a great deal of bass into the halls and vibrates terribly under the slightest bass. The previous tenant had to take his sub out of the apartment or face eviction on this matter.

Is there any inexpensive solution to this problem, or should I just move in without my sub?

Equipment list:
    Receiver: Sony 4es
    Sub: B&W ASW 1000
    Mains: Paradigm Studio 20 v.2
    Center: Paradigm Studio CC v.2
    Side Surround: el-cheapo Acoustic Research
    Rear Surround: even cheaper Sony boom-box castoffs

Please help save my bass [​IMG]

2. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

Put foam strips along the door edge to completely seal and air-tight the door-frame gaps?

Get a heavier door?

3. Dimme

Dimme Extra

I have the same problem with my door, rattles with the slightest bass. I put isolation foam on the top edge of the door frame and on the lower edge of the door frame. The door is just a little harder to close now but the rattling is gone.

It's a pretty inexpensive solution :p

4. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies... Where do I get isolation foam? Home Depot?

5. Dimme

Dimme Extra

I don't know about Home Depot, but try Radioshack or any car repair shop. They should carry the isolation foam or the soft carpets that are used under the hood of the car and in the trunk.

Any place that sells isolators for internal use, like inside speakers or inside house walls should have this kind of foam. As long as it is fairly soft and about half an inch thick.

6. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

sweet.... thank you

7. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

8. michael.st

michael.st Auditioning

Some call it annoying, some call it beautiful [​IMG]

Michael

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I don't know that you need that heavy a foam. There are many thicknesses of foam, adhesive door trim available at the local home center. Close the door and put a little pressure on it in the opening direction. Look along the edge and see how much space there is between the door and the jam and get foam that is about that thick. You don't need to completely secure the door tight with the foam, just avoid any excessive rattling and mainly keep the two hard surfaces from vibrating against each other. It usually takes very little damping to prevent the rattle. To show this, just press your hand to the door when it is rattling

10. Bob Brick

Bob Brick Extra

This situation does not bode well for you, bass lover. I also appreciate those lowest of tones, but my nearest neighbor is 100 feet away and attributes his crumbling concrete home foundation to earthquakes, never suspecting my two subwoofers AND two main full-range speakers with mighty 15 inch woofers.

In your case, your neighbors might show up at your door armed to the teeth, since they just got rid of one basshead and now it' seems poised to begin again anew!

Have you no fear of angry Manhattanites? You are indeed a brave soul to even consider bringing in that which got the previous tenent ousted. Being the only person I know who ever made a U-Turn in the Holland Tunnel, I like your style. Good luck.

11. Ted_Wern

Ted_Wern Agent

The only advice I have for you is to call a real estate agent and find another place to live. For the first time in 3 years I have finally made the move to get rid of the tenant I had living in my basement. She worked crazy hours and was always sleeping and the only time I could crank my equipment was when she wasn't home. That would rarely happen and I put up with it because at the time we needed the money. Now that we don't need that cash anymore, my wife decided that we should lose the tenant so I could enjoy my Studio 100's. Well, now that she's gone, let me tell you, I am in Heaven. I come home from work and before I even put my keys down, I turn the receiver on. I know the moving thing is most likely not an option, but in an apartment situation the bass thing is going to be a problem no matter what. Good luck.

12. Eric_Strickl

Eric_Strickl Stunt Coordinator

I also live in an apartment and bass has been a big concern of mine. I bought 2 pw2200 subs and my neighbors didn't seem to like it much. It didn't make my door vibrate but the bass was still just too much. Whenever I would listen to my music to loud I would hear a loud bang on the wall. About a weeks ago I decided I could take the banging no more!!! So I went out and got a revel b15 sub. With the help of my b15 I can say I have beaten my neighbor into submission!!! I listen TCM vegas on the b15 at reference for about 15 minutes (which made my metal door flex) and since that day I have not heard one bang on the wall.

13. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

14. Evan H

Evan H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for the input.

Sorry about going silent after posting the thread... I'm now in the apartment and finally online again.

John, I'll try that trick tonight and see how bad it looks

Bob, most manhattanites aren't that scary [​IMG] Who knows, maybe the problem with the previous tenant was that his sub was so boomy that it was annoying. A good sub could be mistaken for a passing subway train or something (too bad the nearest line is 3 blocks away [​IMG])

Hopefully I'll be able to return to bass heaven soon enough... Thanks again everyone!