What's new

Subwoofer upgrade ??? (1 Viewer)

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all gurus of sound,

I have recently moved all of my theater equipment into a dedicated room. The wife said yes because my first child is due in 3 months and we needed the living room to be baby ready. I have finished all of the lighting and furniture and finally completed the electronic install tonight. Here is the question. The room is 12x12 and suprisingly the sound is quite nice. I expected quite a bit of sound wave chaos but the addition of fabric and furniture have made the room warm sounding and pleasingly flat. My equipment list is:

Yamaha htr-5540
Paradigm Atoms all the way around
Sony sa-wm40 sub
Panny 51" hdtv
Toshiba sd-4800 dvd

Given my room dimensions and the fact that it is small would I notice a large difference by upgrading to an SVS sub. There is more than enough LFE from the Sony and it has quite a good reputation as a great budget sub. I just am worried about the bass becoming too much for my small room with the svs. I am growing leaning toward the svs however because of all of the great reviews. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.

Yousaf

Second Unit
Now, I don't own an SVS sub but here would be my recommendation. If you want to go SVS and don't mind it being a huge cylinder get the 16-46. You already said that you don't need it to go too loud...so why not have it be able to go low? It seems that most people who are debating between SVS subs are weighing the loudness of the 25 and 20 models vs. the deep bass of the 16. The 16-46 would seem to be the best option for you then...and you don't even need to debate...

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Jeff-Watson quote:
I just am worried about the bass becoming too much for my small room with the svs.
-----------------------
Jeff as great as SVS subs are even they can't overide their volume control. And guess what, you control the volume control. ;)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I just am worried about the bass becoming too much for my small room with the svs.
It won't! My HT is setup in a 10x12 room. I have an SVS 16-46PC+ and a Velodyne HGS-12ii, both properly phased. The pair are tuned about +3dB over reference using a RS SPL meter, and running together they sound absolutely fantastic!! Even my wife thinks the sound is awesome! :D
- Bill

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Ok sounds great. Now given that my room is small do you think as stated above that the largest pci sub would be the best choice. I am not considering any other sub because svs is obviously the best bang for my buck. I know that the spls of the smaller sub are great but I don't think I will be loosing and sound by moving to the larger sub. Do any of you anticipate any problems moving those extremely low frequencies in a small room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks