Subwoofer to receiver cable/connection question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergey M, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Sergey M

Sergey M Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about subwoofer to receiver cable connection and would appreciate any advice. On my receiver there is one rca input and on the subwoofer there are two rca inputs - left and right. On my other similar setup I have two rca cables going from the sub into the y-connector and then into the receiver.

My question is whether I can get away with just one rca cable and one y-connector, and rca cable going from the receiver into the y-connector and into the subwoofer? Or, would I still need two rca cables? Thanks for your help.

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Sergey,

Your receiver likely has a SUBOUT or RCA style output. The sub cable runs from here to the subwoofer: NO Y CONNECTOR IS NEEDED unless specified in the sub manual. Plug the single cable into the L sub input.

Subs operate on a mono signal. If we input into L AND R, while it boosts the signal, it gets "summed" inside and keeps on mono.

Lots of SEARCH posts on using a Y-connector and furtrher calibration of the sub....

bill

3. Sergey M

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I wish I could use search function but it appears to be disabled at the moment. You had mentioned the signal boost in case of dual rca cable connection. Does it actually do anything to improve the signal?

I have Velodyne CT-120 subwoofer. I checked the manual and it doesn't really say whether to use single or dual cable. One of the pictures deceptively shows two separate cables going out of sub's L/R and into the amp's L/R. I'll just hook it up using one rca cable and see what happens.

Thanks again.

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Does it actually do anything to improve the signal?

No. The first step to sending an adequate voltage signal to the sub will come in setting the rcvr's SWFR Level thru the remote. Start with a level approx. 1/3 beyond the lowest or minus setting. Then playing a test tone, raise the sub box volume until matching the left front main spkr at 75dB (rcvr tone/Video Essentials) ot 85dB (Avia/Sound&Vision) using the RadShack Sound Pressure Level analog meter.
    The approximate goal is to have neither the rcvr SWFR Level nor the Sub Volume knob max'd or at lowest settings.

This takes several tries to balance.

I'll just hook it up using one rca cable and see what happens

Yes, this is the Line-Level Method. Velodyne also permits the Speaker Level Method which are the speaker wires going to the sub and back out to the Mains. It's an alternate to check out some time, esp. if have you floorstander Mains.

Depending on your rcvr, I wud start out with the standard 80Hz crossover on the rcvr; set the Sub Low-Pass to 120Hz. Set all other sapkrs to SMALL thru the rcvr spkr set-up menu; and tell it SUB YES -- not Mains or Both.

Looks like a killer sub REVIEW

5. Sergey M

Bill,

Thanks for helping me out. I had considered speaker level input but it's just too much trouble for my taste.

I'm finishing up an upstairs HT setup and I've been going round and round trying to decided between CT-120 and CT-150. For the record, both of my setups are somewhat similar and I had intentionally kept it that way for ease of maintenance and Pronto programming (2 HTs, gotta have 2 Prontos, right? [​IMG]).

My main system consists of four Infinity RS5s, Infinity CC3 center speaker and Velodyne CT-120. Receiver is Marantz SR-8000. For the new upstairs HT I've got Marantz SR-7000, pair of NHT SuperOne mains, pair of NHT SuperZero surrounds and NHT SuperCenter. I haven't bought the new sub yet (got all of the cables though [​IMG]). I'm debating on whether to get CT-150 for the main system and move CT-120 upstairs or just get another CT-120. Somehow I feel CT-150 might just be an overkill (if there is such thing [​IMG]) for either of my system.

And as far as I know, both of my Marantz receivers have fixed crossover at 100.