Subwoofer to complete entry level system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkMac, Aug 12, 2002.

1. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

My dad is finally taking the plunge into home theater, and I'm the lucky one to go shopping for him (heaven knows whether he'll be able to operate any of this after I hook it up for him!) We're staying pretty entry level. So far he's got my old set of Klipsch Quintets. For a receiver, we're leaning towards an Onkyo TX-SR500, and I'll probably be picking that up tomorrow. The last piece I need is the sub, and I'm looking for some suggestions on this one. When I used to run the Quintets, I had a Klipsch KSW-12, but I sold that after moving to an SVS 20-39PCi. Basically, I'd like to find him the best performer I can for

2. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Sub: JBL PB12 $299 delivered from jandr

DVD: many new models coming out, check local retailers for closeouts/open box deals...

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I second Johns suggestion in Subwoofer,

And in DVD check the AUDIO/VIDEO SOURCE FORUM, you will find a lot of information about DVD players there, but my suggestion is check the Panasonic RP82 and the Sony 715 or the 755.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

4. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

You can get a Hsu VTF-2 for around $449 delivered. I don't think you would be disappointed with this sub. I love mine![​IMG]

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Any chance you can build an enclosure yourself? You could build something very similar to your 20-39PCi for $300.

6. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

How does the Adire Rava compare? $399 + shipping.

By the way, how can you get the VTF-2 for $449 shipped?

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Some might figure the Rava sounds better. When the VTF2 is in max extension mode the Rava will match or outgun it above 35hz or so, but the VTF2 being a bass reflex design will have some more extension.

8. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

Check into the Parts Express for the Dayton subwoofer kit($349.00). I built it in an hour and it sounds very good. Tight and deep. I listen to music 85% so for the bucks I had(lost my M&K in a divorce)This was a good choice. Took it to a friends and with music it beat his SVS hands down. The SVS doesn't handle the transients as fast as this.

9. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions. For an update, I ended up going with the JBL PB12. I got it for $269 shipped from bestpriceaudiovideo.com. I got the Onkyo from them as well. That was also $269 shipped. Thanks, again, for the info...I'll let you know how it all turns out.