What's new

subwoofer suggestions (1 Viewer)

Mikey L

Agent
I am curretnly running my system on a Yamaha RXV-620 with a Boston VR910 center channel, crappy old Kenwood mains (I know, I need to match), crappy Radio Shack surrounds, but no subwoofer. I want to at least add the .1 to my 5.1 before I upgrade my other speakers. My room is roughly 14 X 11 with hardwood floors and neighbors downstairs. Any suggestions on a $300-$500 subwoofer. My local Tweeter sells Bostons and Klips, my Best Buy has the standard CSW and JBL's.....any ideas?

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator
I'd take a look at the JBL PB12, which can be had for ~$300 at Best Buy.

And, since no subwoofer post is complete without a reference to SVS, I would seriously consider the 25-31PCi, which is only $49 over your proposed budget.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I just saw 2 SVS 25-31cs' in the b-stock. Only $309!!! Match that up with a plate amp from parts express and you won't be over budget.

Richard_s

Second Unit
Are you sure the PB12 is ~$300 at Best Buy the cheapest I have seen it is $379 there. The PB10 is $299 normally at Best Buy but I have seen it there for $279.
I just puchased the PB12 from www.jandR.com for $299 deliverd no sales tax & Free shipping. Don't go by the price on the website "click" get latest price they will e-mail you a link to buy it for $299.
The PB12 has plenty of power. It sounds great I find the bass very tight and quick responding. It blends very well with my bookshelf (JBL n26 mains, N-center). I had originally purchased the Sony SA-wm40 another subwoofer you will find at Best Buy. The Sony was very good but just did not have enough power for my room so I just went for the PB12 and I am not sorry.
Since you have close neighbors and the room is 11X14 in my opinion you will never be able to use the capability of the PB12 or the SVS models. IMHO you will just have to turn down the Subwoofer. The Sony may be just right for you, you can always return it to Best Buy like I did if you don't like it. I got it for $179 (normal price $199). My son has the Older model equivalent to the JBL PB10 and we put it up against the Sony Sa-wm40 (I did the polyfill mod on this unit to tighten the Bass). I feel the PB10 was tighter (not boomy) than the Sony SA-wm (with the polyfill mod).
My recommendation would be to go with the JBL PB10. I doubt Best Buy will match www.jandr.com but I would print out the web price (the one from the e-mail I talked about above)and give it a try. Worst case buy it and see if you like it then concider returning it and buy one from jandr for the $199.
The PB10 is $199 delivered from www.jandr.com

Mikey L

Agent
This subs looks like a great choice, but with neighbors below me, do I need to worry about an eviction notice?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My suggestion would be to contact Kyle at Link Removed. Give him your budget and see what he can do. He'll custom build a sub to your budget, using the same drivers the DIYers use to build their subs that generally walk all over anything commercial in the same price range Exceptions being SVS, Adire and Hsu. Although he may suggest the same driver used in Adire's subs.
Another option is the Hsu VTF2. $450 great sub.

Mikey L

Agent
I read on audioreview.com about some quality control issues (overheating, circuts frying) on the JBL's....can anyone attest/deny?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Early runs of the PB's (10 or 12) had some amp issues. JBL went to work and fixed the amp problems. They also added an on/off to the PB10 as well. I own the older PB10 (a late run) and chose it for much the same take as Richard_s gave. Got it from JandR for $199 delivered, an incredible deal. It has performed flawlessly and blends extremely well with my Wharfedale towers. The 12 would have been a smarter buy for the long hall when room size, power, etc. would likely become more of a factor. But the 10 is all I need where I am now and for the forseeable future. Also remember on the quality issue, JBL's have a 5 year warranty.

Richard_s

Second Unit
Also remember on the quality issue, JBL's have a 5 year warranty
I thought the PB12 had five (5) years until I read the warranty packaged with my new PB12 Subwoofer.
The case and Loudspeaker (the speaker itself) are warranted for 5 years but the electronics (AMPLIFIER) was limited to one (1) year. Take a look I almost returned the PB12 but figured I will take my chances.
Those that own thw JBL's take a look at your warranty you may be suprised I know I was!!!
EDIT: Link to PB12 Specifications:
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...BS#description
This states if you look at the dimensions that there is a HEAT SINK. Now my unit does not have one that I can see so Either I just got an early model or the heat sink is inside (guess I will have to take a look inside).

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
At this level that is a very wide price range. Do you want to mess with (and have room for) an a separate amp? If so get svs cs. If you want to stay at bottom of limit, Sony at Sears with internet quote of 139.00$ is hard to beat. If you have to start < 500$ HSU VTF2 is a great choice. If you can spring for 549.00$ plus shipping, get 25-31PCi. I tried the Sony at home, heard the VTF2 at a friends house, and now own 25-31PCi. I have no buyers remorse and it kicks some serious a$$ compared to what I have heard or had.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks