Subwoofer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ken Burkstrum, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Ken Burkstrum

Ken Burkstrum Stunt Coordinator

my room is 20x25 and my couch is 12 feet away from the tv. Im not really sure how much im willing to pay. I want to cover the whole room with really..explosive bass. I'll tell yah i'll pay way more then $3,000 but if its a really good famous sub i'd be willing to pay a whole lot more, im obsessed with bass. I would try looking some up but i have a annoyingly slow freezy computer and i dont know the names of any good brands etc.

I have a B&K Ref 50 and 200.7

Im gonna get new speakers soon to, gonna make a thread on that to.

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

In that budget, with a desire for that much bass, I would think the SVS B4+ would fit the bill. Other than that there is the Velodyne DD18. Two SVS PB2+ subs would ring up at about 2500 I think.

http://svsubwoofers.com/subs_b4_plus.htm

3. Ken Burkstrum

i've been lookin through the forum people seem to love svs. Is there any other sub i can get for $6,000 or alittle more thats better then the B4? aslo how much does a Crown K2 cost, how many watts can the B4 handle?

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

5. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Can you do an infinite baffle in your space? You could have lotsa bass for alot less money.

6. Ken Burkstrum

what do you mean by "infinite baffle"?

7. Ken Burkstrum

sounds to me like a B4+ is pefect, i was gonna get a subwoofer before i get my new speakers but i want to spend as much money as i can on speakers and i wont be able to pay as much if i buy the sub first.

8. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

Go to klone-audio.com and follow the link to th Infinite Baffle Forum to see if you can do one in your home. A lot of good info, start with the FAQ and go from there.

9. Bob Bartlett

10. Ken Burkstrum

i went to that forum couldnt make heads or tails of it, i dont understand what is a infinite baffle subwoofer

11. Bob Bartlett

Did you read the FAQ and look at the gallery. That should give you and idea. Basically it is a subwoofer mounted to a small box or manifold which is then placed in the basement or attic and one end of the box is open into the listening room. Very easy to make if you have the space and can cut a hole in the floor or wall or ceiling. I used a floor vent that wasn't being used anymore and but the box in the basement. Check out the pics on the site and it will help visualize it.

12. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

wouldnt that shake everyroom in the house though?

13. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

why do they call them infinite baffle instead of just inwall subwoofers or such, basically the samething as subs at a theater right?

14. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Because it can be a large box with a Vb about 10 times the driver's Vas and I dont think that theaters use IBs. I think they use multiple 18s or horn loaded subs. And IBs do shake the whole house but there are things you cant do to limit this.

15. Bob Bartlett

If you mount the subwoofers across from each other on the manifold it cancels alot of the vibration. Once I mounted it to the rafters under the floor I don't have anymore vibration than my sonotube sub produced. The space you are mounting the sub in is becoming your box, ie. your basement or attic. So in reality you have a very large sealed box. I'm not an expert on how this all works, but do some searches and you can find alot of helpful info.

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer