Subwoofer strategy help

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MikeNi, May 12, 2005.

1. MikeNi

MikeNi Auditioning

Apr 18, 2005
    I currently have a HSU VTF2 that in my small media room (13' X 11') works fine for movies and music. However, I am moving to a house with a much larger space - the media room is 30' X 17' - and I have upgraded my L & R main speakers from box speakers to Magnepan MG 1.6QRs driven by a B&K 4420 amp. My concerns are filling up the larger room with bass and having a subwoofer that is "quick" enough for the Maggies (for music).

So, my strategy has two possibilities: One, get another HSU, probably the VTF3-MK2 and between the two of them, I should be fine for filling up the room with bass but will these subwoofers be quick enough for the Maggies? I don't know... Two, get another subwoofer that addresses both concerns and sell my current VTF2.

One is easy as long as I can get some confirmation that it will address both concerns; Two is more problematic - which subwoofer? The SVS PB12-Plus/2 looks good for filling up the room but can 12" speakers be quick enough for the Maggies?

Please advise.
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    For a room that size, I'd say you will want something like the Plus/2.

I don't know where you are going with the whole "fast" thing, but if you are asking if the SVS subs are musical, the answer is yes. I had a VTF-2 previously and I now have a PB-10 and it is every bit as musical with better low end extension.
  3. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    The dual 12"'s would probably be tighter (faster?, I have not really ever had it described like that) than any 15" or 18" solution. Pretty simple, just go with 2 of those SVS subs and you'll be fine and dandy. [​IMG]

Sort of kidding there, as one of them will probably be great. 2 would certainly keep up with those Mags though. You have certainly raised the subwoofer bar with both the new room, and the high end front soundstage.
  4. Nat Ward

Nat Ward Agent

May 23, 2003

I personally run a PR'd Tumult and think that it's amazing. I haven't compared it to Hsu or SVS, so maybe I'm missing something. Doesn't SVS have a trial period? You could always order one up and return if you don't think it blends in with the Maggies.