subwoofer/speaker setup

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by AndrewKra, Mar 11, 2005.

1. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

i just got a new subwoofer and I need tips on how to get it set up. my main speakers are just small speakers. there is a crossover frequency knob from 60hz-160hz that i dont know what to set at, and there is a phase switch that has 0 degrees or 180 degrees. does anyone know of a sound file that i can download and burn to a cd to help set up my HT.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The crossover freq. setting is for use when you're connecting a sub to a R/L stereo pair w/ speaker wire. You'll be able to ignore this if you're useing your receivers "sub-out". The phase switch is normally only used if you have more than one subwoofer.

beyond that, you'll want an SPL meter (available at radioshack), and a set-up DVD or CD (there are many on the market) to set the level (or volume)

3. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

so does that mean i should just keep the freq on the lowest setting? also, on my receiver i can set the main speaker sizes to large or small, im not sure if it is just in my head but it seems like it sounds better whe i set them to large. what is the difference between the 2 settings.

4. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

one thing I forgot to say is that when I do the sound test on the speakers that is built into the receiver I never hear any sound from the subwoofer.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What kind of receiver and sub are we talking about here, Andrew?

6. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

it is a rca rt2300 surround a/v receiver with a MTX sw2 100 watt 12" powered sub

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you use the pre-out, you set the sub's x-over all the way up and let the receiver handle it.

If you use the speaker level outs, you have to adjust it based on the low end response of your main speakers so the overlap just a little. You have to set your mains to large and sub=no in this configuration. I don't know if you will hear the sub during test tones if you set your mains to large and sub=no though.

8. AndrewKra

AndrewKra Agent

i have all the speakers set to small and the sub is on but i still dont hear a test tone. i use the preamp output on the receiver and use a y-adapter to connect to the sub. when i have the x-over set all the way up it sounds like there is a little to much bass. male voices sonds way too low.