Subwoofer speaker cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rudy_a, Mar 5, 2002.

1. rudy_a

rudy_a Auditioning

I have the Klipsch KSW10 10" powered subwoofer that I connected to my Denon 2800 receiver using a mono rca-cable, nothing fancy. However, when I compared mine with the 8" powered Cerwin-Vega subwoofer, I find there's less 'boom' or shaking with mine. Now the difference could be between the two subwoofers, but I can't help thinking it may also be the speaker wiring. The Cerwin-Vega was connected using a 4 pronged wire. Does that make a difference at all? I was thinking of doing the same to mine but before dishing out at least $20 for those wires, I thought I listen to your opinions first.

regards,

Rudy

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The term *boomy* is usually associated with response peaks >30hz. These can be caused by the location of the subwoofer and it's overall calibration level.(how loud the subwoofer is relative to the other speakers). If you haven't already...experiment with the location of the subwoofer a bit. And be sure to recalibrate it(using a SPL meter)each time you move it. Corners tend to work well,preferably corners near the key seating positions.

TV

3. Mike Butny

Mike Butny Stunt Coordinator

Check out Monstercable Z100 subwoofer cable, it cost around $100.00 for 12 feet.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

High Rudy. Welcome to HTF!

There are 2 ways to hook up a sub:

- With a coax cable with RCA connectors to the LFE plug

- Sending speaker wires to the sub, then running more speaker wires to the L/R speakers.

I suspect the Cerwin Vega was wired up the second way. Using a coaxial cable from the LFE port is the prefered way.

With all respect to Mike, you dont need to spend $$$ on a subwoofer cable. The HIGHER frequency signals have special needs, but not subwoofer signals.

Subs DO seem to be sensitive to snug-fitting plugs. Check yours and see how tight they are. While I dont recommend Monster brand cables, they are known for having the "turbine grip-of-death" plugs. This MIGHT be a consideration for you.

Another popular brand is the AR (Acoustic Research) cables sold through places like Best Buy.

Hope this helps.

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The only huge difference I ever noticed between cables was going from the el cheapo RCA's (the ones that have a clear sheath so that you can see the stranded, unshielded copper wire inside) to a Rat Shack shielded RCA.

Brian

6. rudy_a

rudy_a Auditioning

Thanks y'all for the replies. I think the problem may be two things, the cheap rca cable or the location of my subwoofer. It is sitting in an open space so the vibration doesn't get bounced around. I'll try to fix that and see what happens.

-Rudy

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Rudy: Try this:

- Move your chair/couch that you normally watch TV from out of the way. Put the subwoofer here.

Disconnect all the other speakers (you ARE using banana plugs..right?) and start up a bass-heavy track. The opening chapter of Toy Story 2 is a good one.

Crawl around in the corner and along the walls and listen to the sound. In some spots, it will be boomy/muddy, but it will sound tigher/faster in other spots. Mark the tighter/faster spots on the carpet with tape.

After you have 2 or 3 spots picked out, relocate the subwoofer in one of them, sit back and listen to the sound. If it sounds good, you found your spot.

Note: you can make a long subwoofer cable by going to Radio Shack and buying some CATV coax with the "F" connectors already installed. Also, buy 2 "F-to-rca" adaptors. You can now make a 25 foot cable for less than $12. This should let you reach the major subwoofer spots in your room.