Subwoofer & sound calibration....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Help!!!!!!

I'm sooooo confused...

Seriously, I do need some advice,& I hope that a kind fellow HTFer will be able to help.

I finally picked up a copy of Video Essentials & a SPL meter from Radio Shack in order to calibrate my HT.

Video went fine,& while my picture seemed darker at 1st, I have gotten used to it,and now I can see details & such that I hadn't before.

Next,the audio. I didn't have much of a problem understanding the audio part,until I came to the subwoofer. I don't hear anything out of the sub when trying to calibrate it. (nor did I get anything to register on the SPL meter). I know that I am probably doing something way stupid,so if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Also,something I hadn't asked here at the forum,because the bass sounded okay,but a local a/v store associate recommended that I run my powered sub through speaker wire to/from the receiver/rear speakers,& not through the powered sub plug on my receiver. Is that the best way to do that? Or should I go ahead & use a banana plug and hook it into the powered sub slot?

This is what I am working with:

Receiver: Kenwood 1090VR

Sub: Cambridge Soundworks Basscube 8

The cube has a standard L/R audio output plug setup, & then the aforementioned speaker connections. If I wanted to plug directly into the receiver,that would mean me getting a Y adaptor,yes?

I am in an apartment,so I can't blow the doors off of my system....usually the tops I can play DVD's at is -40 or so. So if anyone out there has any hints,advice,whatever, I'd sorely appreciate them...

I'm stuck with this setup for the foreseeable future,so I just want it to be the best it can be.

Thanks,

Calvin

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You want to run the sub off of the sub out RCA jack from the receiver. The Y is optional, not necessary at all.

You may need to verify that the speaker set-up is SUB=YES and maybe set all speakers to small, to be sure that any or all LFE is going to the sub.

Also verify that the DVD player is sending a true 5.1 signal. I don't know if it is possible to go any other way, but the LFE should play. My Sony DVD will send 2.0 even when playing a 5.1 disc, and I have to make sure it's set-up properly.

Good Luck.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Calvin,

The tone of the VE disc is on the dedicated LFE track. The way you currently have your sub wired, you are losing out on the LFE track and only getting bass signals from the main channels (so you're missing 60% of the bass in any given soundtrack).

Ignore what the store told you. Connect from the RCA jack subwoofer output on the receiver (that is an RCA jack BTW, not a bananna, a bananna is something different) to the sub. You probably won't need a Y adaptor- most subs are okay if you come in the left channel only as it simply sums the L & R anyway.

Go into the setup menu on your receiver and set all the speakers to small, turn the sub to ON. If it allows you to adjust the crossover point, set it to 80. Check you manual for how to access the setup menu for these controls.

Then try calibrating again and see if you get a tone from VE.

Let us know.

-V

4. Mark Hobbs

Mark Hobbs Stunt Coordinator

When I bought my sub (Sony SA-WM40) at Best Buy, the guy that was helping me insisted that I purchase a sub cable with a Y adapter so I could plug it into both the "Left" and "Right" inputs on the sub. This didn't sound right to me, since I didn't think the WM40 had L and R inputs, but he insisted it wouldn't work without it.

When I got it home, sure enough what he thought were "left" and "right" were actually "In" and "Out" (the "out" is for daisy-chaining another sub). So I headed back to the store for a standard sub cable. 30 minutes of my life wasted.

Never trust those guys. They are (usually) clueless.

5. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Vince,Mark,Colin...
    You guys have no idea how stupid I feel at the moment....
    Having said that -
    I took the time to rewire my system,and OMG,what a difference! I couldn't believe the difference. After doing that,it was easy to complete the calibrations on my speakers, & the bass sounds soooo much better.
    I really feel like such a bonehead now....I've had my sub setup like this for almost a year now,after I gave away my non-powered sub to my best friend. I put in Crimson Tide,and then the game Halo, & in both cases the room seemed to really come alive with a lot more & deeper bass then ever before.
    Software has always been my strong point, & I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post replies here at the HTF & help me out.
    Well,at least I can go back now & listen to my DVD's & get more out of the sound experience[​IMG]
    Thanks again [​IMG]
    Calvin

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I love happy endings...
    [​IMG]

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

After you spend a week to a month or two on this sight you will know more than most bestbuy or what ever floor people.This is not a slam or insult aimed.Its just my experiance.It does take time and interest.