Subwoofer Setup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bill Pearson, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Bill Pearson

Bill Pearson Auditioning

Oct 6, 1999

I recently added a Parts Express Tiny Mity 2 to my setup (Sony receiver, Dolby Digital, Bose Acoustimass HT) to replace an old 35 watt powered subwoofer. I've had the Bose speakers for 7 or 8 years now, and I'm well-aware of their limitations. This is the old speaker system with 3 single cubes for front-center-right, a small wooden slotted "bass module" sub, and a pair of Bose 101s for the rear.

As the Bose sub's range during THX test sweeps, etc. is surprisingly full (moreso than modern "Acoustimass modules" I've heard), and the small cubes require that particular sub in order to sound decent, I was wondering if I should continue to call my front (Bose cube) speakers "large" in the Dolby Digital setup. It seems like it would be a better idea (long term?) to send as much bass as possible to the Dayton sub so as not to overdrive the Bose module. However, when I was experimenting with it today, when set to "small" the system seemed to lose a lot of midrange.

Anyway, I am very impressed with the new Parts Express sub. It is _slightly_ boomier than I had hoped and does occasionally seem to produce some wind noise through the big front port, but it's a bargain at $143 shipped. Don't worry, I plan to upgrade from the Bose speakers eventually!!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999

Since the combined Bose system operates essentially the same as a full-range speaker, then it makes sense that you would set your receiver to “small” when you add a sub, just as you would with other speakers.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt