subwoofer setup again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff cr, Mar 26, 2002.

1. jeff cr

jeff cr Agent

hi guys(and gals),

just purchased a Sony strde-575 receiver and a Sony sawm-40 subwoofer. i have the subwoofer hooked up to the sub out on the reciever. my question is, i have the subwoofer output set to -1 db and the volume control on the sub set to a little more than half. i don't have a dvd player or test disk so i am using the test tones on the reciever.now, i get the sub volume fairly close to the same level as all my other speakers and it is working great with movies, however, when i switch to music the subwoofer is waaaay to loud . even turning the sub level down via the receiver is still way to loud. i actually have to go and turn down the volume on the sub itself. this gets to be a pain. any suggestions, is there a happy medium. thanks

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Are you using tone controls or the bass boost?

Movies may bypass those, while music will likely use them if they are adjusted into the mix.

I suggest not using tone controls at all if that is the case.

- C

3. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

When I set up my speakers with Avia and an SPL meter, I realized I had my sub too loud. It is very difficult to do this by ear. You will invariably have the sub volume too high. For movies you may think your setting is correct, but it is probably just as incorrect as it is for music. Some subs have a movie/music switch that boosts output at around 40Hz for movies, because people like the extra volume while watching movies, but want a flatter response while listening to music. (Make sure that if you have one of these switches on your sub that you turn if off, especially for music). Even if your sub has no such switch, you, like many others, may prefer, or at least be willing to accept, more base for movies than for music.

Please get VE or Avia and a sound pressure meter (SPL), and calibrate your TV and speakers. You'll be surprised how much better the picture and sound is.

Larry.

4. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I agree with Larry. It is impossible to set the sub level by ear alone. When I first checked the level with a meter, I was surprised by how far off (high) it was.