What's new

Subwoofer Setting (1 Viewer)

brian reis

Grip
I have a powered sub hooked up to my HK 520. I was told that I should turn the crossover freq knob on the sub all the way to the right to 120kHz. Then have the receiver set the crossover. Is this true? Just checking since it sounded horrible with my last receiver. Granted my last receiver did not have any sub crossover frequencies.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes, turn the sub's crossover all the way up (effectively eliminating it) and use the receiver's crossover (speakers = small, LFE = true).

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
might be a dumb question but here goes, how do i know if my receiver has it's own crossover. i have looked thru the manual, checked the manufacturer's website and done a search on several ht forums but have come up empty handed. i have an onkyo 484 mated to a psb subsonic 5 sub. any info would be appreciated.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Joe,

I checked the manual for the 484- and you're right, it's not really mentioned. However- the unit DOES have a crossover of some type- when you set the speakers to small, bass from the main speakers are rerouted to the sub (you can verify this with test tones I've posted in another thread in this area).

The crossover point is just not adjustable in your situation. Chances are it's probably fixed at 80hz- you could test it using the freq sweeps found on AVIA.

-Vince

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
at some level i must have known that - my set-up is all set to small and there is bass coming from the sub and the fronts never sounded so clean. so, linking back to the thread, i should set my sub crossover to it's highest setting? right now i have it set at about 90 or so. my speakers (fronts) go down to about 78, i think. can i expect much of a difference in sound?

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,

Set the sub crossover to it's highest setting. That will eliminate it and allow the crossover in the amp to do it's job. You don't want the sub crossover to effect the one in the amp and at 90Hz it probably will.

Larry

Sebastian

Second Unit
If anyone finds out what this receiver (Onkyo 484) crossover is at, please let me know.
Originally I was told that it was, when speakers set to small and sub yes was 120Hz
sub yes, speakers large, 80 Hz.
I am now lead to believe this is incorrect with some testing I have been doing.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks