subwoofer setting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tan_U, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I have the JBL NSP1 package and a PSW-D110 subwoofer, what should the settings on the subwoofer be, the fronts says cross over at 3000, I don't know what that means but I think it has something to do with how low the speakers can go, and the center has a cross over at 3500.
    Also should I set the center and fronts to large or small.

2. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    The frequencies you mention are telling you which frequencies are going to which drivers in your speakers. Frequencies above 3000 Hz (or 3500 Hz) go to the tweeter, while frequencies below that go to its woofer.
    You don't mention what kind of receiver you're using. However, it's usually best to let the receiver handle the low frequency crossovers. Don't connect your satellite speakers to the subwoofer. Instead, connect them directly to the receiver's outputs. Connect the subwoofer's line input to the receiver's subwoofer (LFE) output. You can either use a Y cable or just connect to either the right or left input.
    Configure your receiever's bass management for small speakers all around and turn subwoofer on. Frequencies below its internal crossover frequency (usually 80 or 100Hz) will be redirected from the "small" speakers to the receiver's subwoofer/LFE output. Frequencies above that will go to the appropriate surround sound speaker. It's very hard to tell where really low frequencies are coming from, so having a single subwoofer is not a problem.
    Turn up all the way the low-pass crossover frequency on the subwoofer itself. The Low Frequency Effects channel on some DVDs sometimes includes those higher frequencies. The setting of the sub's high-pass crossover doesn't matter. You aren't using those outputs.
    Set the phase switch in whichever position makes low frequencies louder. This varies depending on where the sub is sitting in your room and where you sit. Putting the sub in a corner generates the loudest low frequency sounds. The easiest way to find out where to put the sub is to put it in your favorite listening position. Go around the room listening for the best sound. Then put the sub there.
    I hope this helps a little.
    ------------------
    Selden

3. Tan_U

Tan_U Stunt Coordinator

I have a HK AVR110 receiver which the satellites are hooked up to. So basically I should set the satellites and center to small and turn the low pass on the subwoofer to 180 and not worry about the high pass right?

4. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Hey Tan, I have the same speakers and yes, that's right - what Selden said is correct.

5. Ed O

Ed O Agent

One follow up question...what if the satellites only go down to 100 hz and the receiver's crossover is fixed at 80? Wouldn't you be missing the 80-100 hz spectrum of sound regardless of where the sub's crossover is set? In that case wouldn't it be best to use the subs speaker connections and crossover? Just wondering what the theory on this is.
    Thanks.
    [Edited last by Ed O on November 05, 2001 at 11:02 PM]