subwoofer set up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Rodgers, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Greg Rodgers

Greg Rodgers Auditioning

I just attached my powered sub to my Sony 835 reciever, via a Monster sub cable, using a "y" splitter to go into both the L and R inputs on the sub. I went into the set up on my reciever and told it that I have a sub now, but I am still not hearing anything out of it, what else could it be?

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Check to make sure you are connected to the SUBOUT jack,
    not the SUBIN. Trust me it is done all the time.

3. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

And go into your receiver's setup and make sure you told it you HAVE a subwoofer.
    Turn up the sub to full volume (pending calibration) and make sure it's ON, oh....and plugged in.
    Don't laugh, I've heard from folks that messed up every one of these. It can get late/dark/distracting when new gear is getting set up!
    Ron

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Also,
    if you have all your speakers set to LARGE, then the subwoofer might only be sent the LFE channel. Since the majority of source material doesn't include a LFE track...
    Set all speakers to small,
    If that doesnt help, try swapping out the woof cable with a piece of generic composite video cable you have laying around.
    TV

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Hey Tom (or anyone else who knows the answer), while we're on the subject of speaker size settings, another member and I were recently in disagreement with respect to Dolby's bass management specification.
    The question is this: when the front speakers are set to LARGE and the sub is set to ON, where is the deep bass (below the receiver's cut-off) sent to for the center and surrounds when they're set to small?
    I was under the impression that any speakers set to small would result in the receiver's cut-off sending the deep bass for those channels to the sub but was recently told that that information would be sent to the fronts (not the sub) if they were set to large.
    I haven't been able to confirm this either way......which is correct?
    Thanks,
    Vin
    ------------------

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

>>The question is this: when the front speakers are set to LARGE and the sub is set to ON, where is the deep bass (below the receiver's cut-off) sent to for the center and surrounds when they're set to small?
    I was under the impression that any speakers set to small would result in the receiver's cut-off sending the deep bass for those channels to the sub but was recently told that that information would be sent to the fronts (not the sub) if they were set to large.
    I haven't been able to confirm this either way......which is correct?