Subwoofer Selection and Placement (w/ drawings of my appt)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Schofield, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'm graduating from college in May and have found my apartment for next year already, in a small town in Wisconsin. I've been trying to figure out for some time which subwoofer to add to my system
    My current system is composed of:
    Yamaha 495 Receiver
    Paradigm Monitor 7 mains
    Paradigm Mini-Monitor surrounds
    Paradigm CC-370 center
    I'm contemplating the following subs:
    Paradigm PDR-12
    SVS 25-31 PCi
    To see pictures (jpg's of AutoCAD drawings) Click Here, placement of the sub will affect which I buy, more than price or 'standard' quality (can an improperly placed SVS be outperformed by a otherwise overmatched PDR?, I would guess yes).
    The stairway is exposed in the room, a portion of the TV and the equipment rack are getting tucked under it as you can see in Figure 3. As Figure 2 hints at, the room is vaulted.
    I have decided that there are three possible locations for a sub in my new living room. (I'm sorry I can't illustrate these locations on the pictures, I made the .jps in another lab and this lab won't allow me to edit them to add X's):
    Location 1. Under stairs in the corner to the right of the right main in Figure 4, as stairs are simply treads, no kickboard. I need advice as to whether it is ok to "bury" subs under structures like that.
    Location 2. On landing of stairs directly above the previous location. I need advice as to whether it is ok to put a sub on top of a 'hollow' area.
    Location 3. Between right main and TV
    In my mind Locations 1 and 3 are suited for the PDR while Location 2 is ideal for the SVS. Location 3 might allow for the SVS if there are no magnetic fields in the upper part of the structure that would interfere with the TV. If Location 2 is considered acceptable I would like to go with the SVS, but otherwise I believe that the PDR is going to be a better choice for this room.
    I'd appreciate any input you can give, be it other possible locations, advice on placing an SVS near TV's or on a landing, etc. Thanks!

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Moving to a small town in Wisconsin? They're all small! Welcome!

It is a tricky space.. I would probably go with location 1. I think you should try to utilize the corner of the room as much as possible. Placing it up on the landing might be okay.. but I think you will find a lot of bass being directed upwards. And it may sound a little "disconnected" from the rest of the audio at that distance.

Thats my opinion. And I'm sticking to it.

3. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I think location 1 or 3 would be best. Would there be a problem slipping an SVS into location 3? What type of TV will you have (i.e. direct view or projection)? I assume that the stairs are too low to alow the SVS in location 1?

4. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I will have a Sony Wega KV-36FS13 (a direct view w/ flat-screen), mounted on the Sony-brand stand (which is 17.25" tall).
    One reason I like Location 2 is that it still allows for the SVS to be corner loaded. Location 1, if you look at Figure 2 on my drawings page, is only about 1.5' tall, just barely tall enough to slide the PDR underneath. In Figure 1 it shows that the landing (Location 2) is approximately 42" by 42". How much room must be given on the 'sides' of the SVS? If it can be butted up into the corner it'll allow the stairs to be easily used, otherwise it might not be a great place for a sub.
    I was hoping TV or Ron would get a chance to see this thread... I guess if it doesn't get their attention I'll email them directly [​IMG]

5. Chris_O

Chris_O Agent

I would think that location 3 looks like a good spot. It would only be about 10 Feet away from the primary listening position so you should be able to get good output. I also looked at the Paradigm PDR-12 a few weeks back, but I wasn't very impressed with it. I hear a lot of good things about the SVS subs so I order a 20-39 PCi. It will be here tommorrow so I will see how well it sounds.

Chris