What's new

Subwoofer Selection and Placement Advice (1 Viewer)

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
So my friend is looking to add a sub to his current setup. He currently has an Onkyo Htc-rc 330 receiver(http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-RC330&class=Receiver), and two bookshelf speakers along with a passive sub. The bookshelf speakers are sitting on the floor next to his TV stand and the sub right next to them.

The whole room is carpeted(thick carpet, not the smooth thin kind). I've attached a layout of his room that I made in Paint(awesome drawing skills...). He is probably looking to spend $150-$200, and I'm assuming a 12" sub is probably best for his dimensions, but I'll let you guys decide.

After you look at the layout, if he wants to put the sub towards the back, you can see that there is no wall to really run the RCA cord along, since there is an open gap at each front side. So...I'm not sure if the best bet is to place the sub next to the TV stand, or if it would sound much better in the rear, to look at wireless subs, though those cost more and I'm not sure if they sacrifice quality or not.

Let me know what you guys think, with the placement of the sub and recommendations for subs in that price range.

Amazing layout of Dillan's Basement.png

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
schan1269 said:
Your only option is the BIC F12 or Dayton Sub1200/1500.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Do you think going with a 15 is necessary? I saw that Cnet says the Dayton is only $179 shipped, but I'm having trouble finding a website with that price, or with it in stock period.

Also, where do you think is a good placement for it in the room layout I uploaded? I know the sound is omni-directional, but I wasn't sure if the carpet or the open spaces in the front by his TV made a difference.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You put the sub where it sounds best. You find that by sub crawl. Yes, sub crawl, is a thing.Parts Express is where you buy Dayton(Dayton is their brand).

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
General recommendations for sub placement include the following:1) the halfway point of the sidewall2) in a corner ( this has the added advantage of requiring less power to output more volume) and where I ended up putting my 2 subs. These recommendations come from research conducted by Dr.Floyd Toole ( look it up on Google, if you're interested.) I had 2 very good subs (Rythmik's) for months, and was not really satisfied with their sound until I happen to get out of my chair during a movie scene with lots of low bass and was startled to find much more output toward the corner of the room. I moved the subs there, and viola! The bass was there in all it's glory. The sub crawl involves placing the sub in your listening positioning, playing loud bass, and crawling around the room until you locate a spot where the bass is strongest. It's well worth the effort to properly place a sub. They are extremely position dependent. Let us know how it goes, and best of luck!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Trogdor796 said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

Do you think going with a 15 is necessary? I saw that Cnet says the Dayton is only $179 shipped, but I'm having trouble finding a website with that price, or with it in stock period.

Also, where do you think is a good placement for it in the room layout I uploaded? I know the sound is omni-directional, but I wasn't sure if the carpet or the open spaces in the front by his TV made a difference.
Comparing a 12" sub to a 15" sub is like comparing cars. Is a 6 cylinder better than an 8 cylinder? You have dozens of other things to consider before you can provide an educated answer. As far as response and output, I have a 12" sub that will crush the Dayton 15 but it doesn't fit into your price range. In fact, just the 12" driver is outside of your budget.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Alright, he will probably be going with the F12.

We watched a video on Subwoofer Crawl, seems simple enough. Only problem with his setup is its gonna be hard to put it anywhere besides next to his TV stand. I realize I didn't properly attach the picture of his layout earlier, but it should be visible now. As you can see, there is no wall to run the RCA cable along, since there is an opening to the left and right of the staircase. Moving the TV, receiver, and PS4 to the back wall furthest from the staircase may be an option too. I'll see what he thinks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
PE does sell a "wireless kit" for $66(I think...anyway...it was under $70) that is linked on both the Sub 1200 and 1500 pages...at the bottom.

Reviews say it works well. Not tried it...not interested in wireless, other than WiDi, for any of my theatres.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Well, it appears moving the TV, reciever, and PS4 to the back wall is an option, so wireless will not be needed. So, one last thing.

The BIC F12 is $184 shipped on Amazon.

The Dayton sub-1500 is $199 shipped on PE

The extra $15 means nothing to my friend, so should he just wait a few days for the Dayton 15" to come back into stock? Or are they comparable/identical performance wise? Both have good reviews and recommendations, so just wondering.

Also, since the sub will be placed on carpet, is it better to get something flat to put underneath it, or no?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Also, since the sub will be placed on carpet, is it better to get something flat to put underneath it, or no?

It's not a bad idea but it depends on what you find when you get it there. My brother put a decent sized piece of wood under this sub that sits on carpet and it did make a difference. It was a lot cheaper than getting longer spikes ect and seemed to really work well with the down firing port of the Dayton.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks