Subwoofer response?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark--M, May 6, 2005.

1. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

I'm just wondering how important it is to have a sub that responds really low? Seems like many people here want a sub that can reach down below 20Hz. But I've noticed that the very best you can get at most above decent electronics stores only respond to around the mid 20's?

Is there really that much difference in a sub that will go an extra 5Hz lower?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Is it worth it depends on what you are looking for. Is it worth it to ME? YES [​IMG] Especially for movies, a sub that extends low enough to give you some good tactile response is definitely worth it.

The majority of subs you will find in stores are not going to give you the best performance for your $$. What's your price range?

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You definatly run into the law of diminishing returns. The lower you want to go, the exponentially harder (and more expensive) it gets to do.

That said, I have dual SVS 16-46CS+s, each driven with 500watts from the Samson S1000 amp. That is a lot of sub (each one is 46" tall, and 1000 watts total power). I get nice even flat response down to 13hz. The tactile feel definatly adds to the movie watching experience. The difference is not just in big explosions, but the little ones as well. In U571, I can feel all the little depth charges that are far away. It makes it much more realistic.

The question is, was a $1600 subwoofer system worth it? For me it was.

4. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

I'm actually building one, just trying to decide how to tune it. If I traded off some low end response I could make it quite a bit smaller. For those of you who have or have heard the SVS subs, what tunning mode do you prefer?

Any other advice as to wether I should trade off a few Hz for a slighly smaller box?