Subwoofer Reponse Trick/Musings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike OConnell, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Receiver: Denon 5800+
    Subwoofer: Velodyne HGS-18

I always seemed to be frustrated that during extended soft passages on TV, music, or movies that my subwoofer would "go to sleep" due to lack of a signal below the 80 HZ crossover that I employ.

When I got my 5800 back from the upgrade I went through the audio calibration with my dB meter and relized that I was always turning the output from the receiver to the sub down by 4 or 5 dB in order to calibrate at the 75 dB level.

A light then went on in my brain to turn down the manual volume on the sub and increase the receiver output to the sub to around the plus 2 or 3 dB range.

This has allowed my sub to stay "on" and be more quickly ready for the responses to low frequencies in the movies/music/TV without changing the sub's output.

The low frequencies were there, but the sub's auto-on circuitry was not sensitive enough to the very "soft" low frequencies.

Yes, I could have taken the sub off of the auto-off circuit, but this was another route to solve the problem.

Mike

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Mike

What you have done is the recommended fix for the auto On/Off issue you encountered on Velodyne sub-woofers. It actually works for a number of sub-woofers.

In addition to this, the use of a “Y” adapter at the sub-woofer feeding signal to both left and right inputs helps to reduce this situation.