Subwoofer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_H, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Steve_H

Steve_H Auditioning

I am in the process of setting up an HT in a mid-size room approx. 15x17. Speakers are all Paradigm, Monitor 7 front, Monitor 3 rear, CC-170. Looking for a decent powered subwoofer to go with this set-up.
    This equipment/room is strictly for movies. My 2 channel music system is in another room. So, the sub would just be to enhance the sound effects of movies.
    How are the Paradigm subs? PDR-10,PDR-12,PS-1200? I have also read about the HSU subs. I'm trying to keep the price around $500.
    Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    Thanks.

2. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Of the three Paradigms you listed, I think the PDR-12 has a bit tighter bass. If you can swing an extra $200 or so, I highly recommend the Paradigm PW-2200. I have been very pleased with this sub.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hmmmm... now what subs could we possibly recommend??? [​IMG]
    Check SVS first. If too expensive, check out Dharman . If still too expensive, I'd recommend you visit the DIY section of this forum for help in building your new subwoofer.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

At that price point for a powered sub, I'd go with the Dharman that John mentioned. It's about $550 delivered 'till the middle of August (there's a 15% off deal going on, see hometheatertalk.com for details).

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I'd also toss the HSU VTF_2 into the mix,
    Look for it's performance in reviews ranging from Tom Nousaine to WSR to AUDIO to SGHT...it's really an amazing performer for a 10" woof.
    TV