Subwoofer Recommendations ????

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Paul Britt, May 31, 2004.

1. Paul Britt

Paul Britt Auditioning

I am looking for a new subwoofer. My mid-fi system has the following Definitive Tech speakers now. CLR 3000 center. BP2000 mains. BP20 rear surround. BPVX/P as a middle speaker between the two back surrounds and a pair of BPVX at roughly the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. I have an older Def Tech Powerfield 1500 subwoofer with 15' woofer and about 300 watts. The speakers are driven by 4 Carver TFM 35X power amps. Only the one older power Field Sub handles the special effects of the LFE channel, since the old BP 2000's cannot accept a LFE input. I am unsatisfied with the crunch and thump of the LFE channel in my system. I am looking at SVS PB2 Plus and the Def Tech SuperCube Reference. Unfortunately I will have to buy either of them without an audition. The room is large, about 20'x 30' and a ten foot ceiling. I have tried various placements for the sub, but corner placement is not physically possible. Most of my listening is home theater and not music. Any thoughts on these two options guys? Any other recommendations? I only have about $1500 to spend, so please don't recommend some $3000 uber-woofer.

2. Dwayne-S

Dwayne-S Agent

Haven't heard the Def Tech, but I do own a PB2+. My room is 21'x25' with 8' ceilings and the PB2+ has no problem filling it up with lots of bass.