What's new

Subwoofer recomendations (1 Viewer)

Chriscomo

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris ford
looking to buy a sub for around five hundred my old one just smoked over New Years. Was looking at the klipsh r-112sw with the wireless feature....let me know any opinions please I have not bought any new equipment in years. Thanks in advance.

Chriscomo

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris ford
Thanks for the suggestions I will look into them. I was thinking wireless for more location possibilities. I need to work around a fireplace and two double French doors and I can’t run the wire under. Would you be completely against wireless?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
More chances for interference in the audio chain and am not sold on wireless currently. There are ways to hide the rca cable going to your sub woofer. But if you want to use a sub woofer with a wireless option I would make sure to stay away from no name cheap brand subs. I would invest in a brand with high quality subs if going that route. I feel the more wireless devices you have in your home and the more that are in close proximity that your neighbors use the higher the risk for interference of some kind. Another brand that is good and still should be good is Velodyne sub woofers. You might also check out Polk Audio. But besides Klipsch and SVS which make very good subs try to check out ELAC which was designed by Andrew Jones who is a well known speaker designer and designed speakers for Pioneer and Triad. ELAC are getting very good reviews especially considering there price range. If you need to use a wireless sub then by all means do it. I was just giving you my input which my no means implies wired is the only way to go, it is just my preference.

IMG_0215a.jpg

IMG_5599a.jpg

The small sub is a Polk and I originally had that as my primary sub (10" sub), and then my neighbors boss gave away the HSU 15" 600 watt sub that I use now. I still have the polk sub and use it with my pc and a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers powered by my old Yamaha RX-V995 receiver.

Last edited:

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
What size is your room (HWD)? That is critical information when deciding on what subwoofer might work.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Even assuming a "high ceiling" is just 10', that gives you 3840 ft^3 of space. If that's enclosed it would be considered a good sized room, but if it's open to other areas it will overwhelm any $500 subwoofer I'm afraid. If the room is sealed, and the expectations reasonable, you might be able to get away with something like the SVS PB12-NSD. For 550ish there's the Rythmik LV12R. Both of those are solid choices.

LEAFguy

Auditioning
Real Name
Ernie Hernandez
If you're still looking for a sub, I can highly recommend Hsu Research. Here is a link to a roughly $500 sub that might work for you:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

I bought its bigger brother, the VTF-15H MK 2 which I use in a smaller room than yours, but it's open to the rest of the house and it literally has shaken the walls. Wander around their site and you will see some very good consumer and professional reviews. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks