Subwoofer recomendation?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg_Fritz, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Gregg_Fritz

Gregg_Fritz Extra

Need to buy a decent subwoofer, and I'm totally up in the air in respect to the choices out there. I have a small HT room (roughly 10 wide by 16 long) im using a Denon receiver with bose front stage and yamaha rear. Usually you will see the built in amplifier subwoofers, but does anyone recommend getting a pre-amp / amp set up for a sub? Something with a little more control over crossover point? Id like to get a nice rich sounding subwoofer that can handle the explosions, this is for theater use only... never use it for stereo really.

I'd like to stay under the $500.00 mark if I can.

2. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    Look into the Velodyne CHT series sub-woofers.I would suggest look at the CHT12 for your room.

If you are close to a circuit city store, you might want to check them out. Sometimes they have open box deals. Otherwise future shop would be your other choice.

3. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I also recommend checking out the Vels, but you may also want to look into the HSU research subs. They have gotten great reviews from well-known critics such as Tom Nousaine (sp?). Their VTF-2 is priced right around your budget at $450. I have never heard them myself, but they are known for their excellent extension. www.hsuresearch.com Good luck

4. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

It is slightly over your price limit, buy an SVS 25-31PCi is $550. The reputation of SVS on this forum and others speaks for itself.

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

My recommendation would be a Hsu VTF-2 ($449 + s&h) or a SVS 25-31PCi ($550 + s&h). I know, as adam said, the SVS is a little over your $500 price range but IMHO well worth the stretch.

IMHO these are probably the best bang for the buck outside of a DIY sub.

Matthew

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You might consider adding the Adire Rava (~$400) to the very excellent suggestions so far.

7. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

In that price range, I recommend the Definitive Tech ProSub 100tl. This 10", 250 watt sub packs a punch for the $450 retail price.

8. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

All great recommendations, I'd second the Adire Audio Rava($399 IIRC) and the Hsu VTF-2($449). After you get the sub, please upgrade your front soundstage...nobody deserves to own BOSE [​IMG]