What's new

Subwoofer reco for musis use only (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
My weakest HT knowledge is in the subwoofer area, so I need basic help on this one. I'd like to get a sub to be used only for music to go with some Axiom M3s. Here's the tough part, I'd like to keep the cost below $350, preferably $300. The Hsu VTF-1 seems to be a good match, but the price point too high. Any advice?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Thanks, appreciate the recos. I'll do some research on these tonight.

A question though, unlike the Hsu VTF (vs the STF), these seem to be tuned for HT use. Is there such a thing as subs tuned for music use (or did I mis-read the Hsu description)?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Hsu has dual settings. Plug one port and flip a switch for maximum extension - 25hz Fb. Leave both ports open and flip the switch the other way for a higher tuning - 32hz Fb. Really, all that does is give you a peak in the frequency response around tuning. Some people like that. I want my system flat from 20,000hz to 10hz. That way music and movies are reproduced just like the sound engineer intended. But it's your sub and I'll try to limit my suggestions to what you want.

Sealed subs that are too small, will also give you the peak in the response. Based on that, let me add another sub to the list. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-760 The Dayton is a great little sub that might just fit your needs. It's a medium Qts driver in a slightly smaller than optimal cabinet. The driver is made in the USA at NCA Labs. They are one of the few remaining build houses in the states.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
>> But it's your sub and I'll try to limit my suggestions to what you want.

No, please, tell me what I want! As I mentioned I'm not very knowledgable with subs. In the past I've just purchased them with the set and plugged them in.

I had the general impression, which the Hsu website reinforced (without my *really* knowing what they were saying), that subs can be made to better reporduce the very low frequencies (the rumble) or the lower bass - but not usually both. I'm sure money helps solve the dichotomy problem; but at the lower end I thought I might have to choose. I'm not looking for a boost to either part of the spectrum, but if I have to choose, for music I'm more concerned about the lower bass (blues riffs) than the thump (1812 cannon shot).

But if I'm mistaken, that's okay too. In which case I'll probably just go with the Hsu STF-2, at $320. It seems to get good comments on the forum, so is probably a safe choice.

And thanks, I like the Dayton kit, I might get that for myself as an upgrade for my mostly music system; but for a present I don't want to go that route.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wanted both accuracy as well as the ability to dig deep during action movies. I use dual 15" TC-3000 http://web.archive.org/web/20070207070153/www.tcsounds.com/tc3000.htm . These were mainly marketed to the car audio crew but they work fine in a home theater. I power them with a pro amp (Behringer EP-2500 - 800w x 2 @ 2 ohms). When I first got this setup running, it was a boomy nightmare. It sounded like poorly installed car stereo with bloated bass. It was partly room and partly high inductance driver. I took the recommendation of people here and at other forums and installed a Behringer Feedback Destroyer between the LFE output on the receiver and the sub amp. Yes, it's a piece of pro audio gear but it has a great, digital 12 band parametric EQ. To simplify the process, I measured the sub's in-room response, modeled it in special software, tweaked the EQ and re-measured. It was flat from 100hz to 17hz with usable bass below 15hz.

Forget the technical stuff, how does it sound? When listening to acoustic music, it blends seamlessly into the mains. That is partly attributed to the MCACC calibration system on my Pioneer but the sub is a big part of that. The drivers are extremely accurate. During action movies, it is quiet until it doesn't need to be quiet. I can go past reference levels while watching action movies without any hint of stress or strain from the amp or the drivers.

The EQ was the missing part. An hour of work took a good sub and made it a great sub. There is a BFD for sale right now in the classifieds section of the forum. I'm surprised that no one has jumped on it yet at that price.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Back to your question. The Hsu should work great. As long as the amp isn't in max output mode and the ports are in maximum extension mode, you will be fine. That combination is disaster waiting to happen. Without the subsonic filter set correctly, the driver will bottom when watching movies with a lot of LFE activity. If the recipient of your gift isn't as audio savvy as the rest of us, you may want to go with a sealed sub.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I decided to go with a Velodyne: http://www.amazon.com/Velodyne-Impact-10-10-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B001GON5AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291647672&sr=8-1

I really wanted to get the Hsu STF-2, but with the shipping I just couldn't justify the extra $60. If anyone thinks I make a huge mistake, let me know. (I have 19 days to fix it.)

I wanted both accuracy as well as the ability to dig deep during action movies. I use dual 15" TC-3000 http://web.archive.org/web/20070207070153/www.tcsounds.com/tc3000.htm . These were mainly marketed to the car audio crew but they work fine in a home theater. I power them with a pro amp (Behringer EP-2500 - 800w x 2 @ 2 ohms). When I first got this setup running, it was a boomy nightmare. It sounded like poorly installed car stereo with bloated bass. It was partly room and partly high inductance driver. I took the recommendation of people here and at other forums and installed a Behringer Feedback Destroyer between the LFE output on the receiver and the sub amp. Yes, it's a piece of pro audio gear but it has a great, digital 12 band parametric EQ. To simplify the process, I measured the sub's in-room response, modeled it in special software, tweaked the EQ and re-measured. It was flat from 100hz to 17hz with usable bass below 15hz.

Holy Sh*t! Suffice it to say my son and I won't be doing that.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson Holy Sh*t! Suffice it to say my son and I won't be doing that.

It's not as difficult as it sounds. It took about an hour's time and the BFD was under $100.

The Velodyne is a proven brand and you should be more than happy with your choice. I like the internet direct brands because of the service before and after the sale. In a lot of cases, you can call and talk to someone with hands on experience or even the designer of the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks