1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer + Receiver Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hansson, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Todd Hansson

Todd Hansson Auditioning

Are there any good suggestions to setting up my AVR2000 HK with my Velodyne CT-100 Sub? Would you suggest using a direct or cross-over Line level input into the subwoofer?

Cheers_Todd

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

If your Velodyne is like mine (1012XII), you run preamp out to the Velodyne (line level) and set the switch on the sub to bypass the low-pass crossover, doing the crossover only once, and in the receiver. (Don't know about HK; mine is Denon.) No outputs at all from the sub... all other speakers get their power directly from the receiver.

3. Randy Prue

Randy Prue Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm... interesting. I have a Velodyne CHT-12, which so far, I am enjoying.

The manual explains explains all the connection possibilities, but doesn't say much about what happens or why one would use a particular configuration (doesn't say nothing, but doesn't say much).

It says you can set the receiver to cross-over at a point lower than the sub (in their example, 80 Hz receiver; 120 Hz in the sub) ("gives a steeper ultimate crossover slope"). This is one of many phrases that leaves me scratching my head.

They do recommend going pre-amp > low-level in on sub, then low-level out from sub to amp (removes all the low end amping work from the receiver/pre-amp/amp/whatever, giving more power to the rest of the spectrum. As soon as I have enough cable for this, I'll try it.

Their drawing shows 4 outputs from pre-amp heading for two inputs on sub, so ... do I trust them?

...and finally, it also states that you can turn off the cross-over in the sub and let the processor (receiver/amp) do the job (again, no reason why, why not, or enough data to evaluate). I guess I'll try several of the methods (cable permitting) and see how it sounds).

Maybe someone else has already tried all the methods and can enlighten all of us.

I don't think that either way (of the two you ask about) is right or wrong, just different.

4. Todd Hansson

Todd Hansson Auditioning

Thanks Marc + Randy for your input. Yes the manual (Velodyne) is a little light on specs and unclear which option which you should take.

My current setup is as follows: (Im probably a little lite on specs as i'm a novice in this area. )

Velodyne Subwoofer

a. Line-level input (Currently using cheap Y-cable)

b. Subwoofer Direct.

c. Phase Adjustment set to 0.

d. Volume set at 4

e. Freq. 80hz

f. Auto Power on

HK AVR 2000

a. Subwoofer output.

b. Main + Effect Speakers Set to 'Small' (No Choice between LFE and L/R+LFE.)

c. Subwoofer Level set at 0db

Im Guessing this is similar to your current setup (Sub). I'm unsure of how to add a pre-amp to my system and know even less about Hz setup on my receiver etc. But i'm enjoying the added bass of the velodyne!

Thanks_Todd

5. Randy Prue

Velodyne Subwoofer

a. Line-level input (Currently using cheap Y-cable)

b. Subwoofer Direct.

Do you mean you bypassed the crossover? Wouldn't that make the frequency setting invalid? Yes, that's right. The Direct setting takes only what the amp sends it (so adjusting the dial ... 40-120 ... no longer changes anything).

c. Phase Adjustment set to 0.

This can be changed according to the room (I can't hear a difference at either setting).

d. Volume set at 4

e. Freq. 80hz

f. Auto Power on

HK AVR 2000

a. Subwoofer output.

b. Main + Effect Speakers Set to 'Small' (No Choice between LFE and L/R+LFE.)

I have an H-K 520 and it does allow me to select L/R+LFE. It has two options for cross-over. I set it higher than the main speakers lowest point speakers go to 35; set it at 60), and set the Velodyne to around 80 (based on recommendations here).

c. Subwoofer Level set at 0db

This is the -10 to +10 adjustment that all the speakers have? Yeah, I leave it at 0, too.

>> Im Guessing this is similar to your current setup (Sub). I'm unsure of how to add a pre-amp to my system

The 520 has pre-amp out and amp in, so I can go (once I get the cables) out from the H-K to the Velodyne (now I understand why it has two inputs/outputs), then back to the "amp in" on the H-K. Supposed to make maximum use of the amp in the Velodyne, leaving more power to receiver and speakers for higher frequencies (as in, more noise all around).

Yes, I'm enjoying the Velodyne, too. It's musical with music and ... not too many movies lately, but boomy when it needs to be.

6. Todd Hansson

Todd Hansson Auditioning

Thanks Randy_

This is exactly the feedback I needed!!

This is going to sound stupid, but you made the comments about adjusting the reciever:- '(It has two options for cross-over. I set it higher than the main speakers lowest point speakers go to 35; set it at 60)'. If you have the time could you elaborate, please.

Ive just had a look at the manual(HK), maybe my model doesn't have this capability?

Kind regards_Todd

P.S. Forgot to mention my HK2000 does give me the option to choose LFE and L/R+LFE, only when the main speaker have been set to 'Large'.

7. Randy Prue

In the same place as I set the speakers to Large, etc., is where the subwoofer options are (it's an onscreen menu, on the TV, but can also be done on the receiver's screen). The options for the sub change according to the front speakers (like you just said), and the cross-over options (you get two at a time) depend on the sub-woofer choice.

I think the idea is that, if the speakers start "dropping off" -- delivering less low-frequency, at ... okay, say 60 Hz, and if the sub kicks in at 80, then between 60 and 80, they are both in transition, thus the smooth transition concept that people talk about.