Subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kenny Booth, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Kenny Booth

Kenny Booth Stunt Coordinator

Two questions.

Is there a difference between the way a front firing sub sounds and a floor firing?

If I turn a floor firing sub on its side will it sound like a front firing sub?

2. John Desmond

John Desmond Stunt Coordinator

Whether a sub is front firing or downfiring is just one of many design parameters. Neither is really superior to the other. SVS has a great reputation and they're downfiring. REL and ACI are great subs and they're downfiring. The best sub I've ever heard, the Aerial is front firing. I'd bet that if you took a downfiring sub and layed it on it's side it would probably sound the same. Well, if it was aimed right at you, you might hear slightly more distortion because harmonic distortion consists of overtones which would be more audible from a forward firing driver than one that is downfiring. Bottom line, just get the sub that works best for you regardless of front or downfiring!

3. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

There is no difference between a floor firing and front firing sub performance wise. You can turn any floor firing sub on it's side. You cannot however turn any front firing sub to face the floor. When a driver faces the floor gravity will cause the driver to sag a little (down from it's normal resting position). Some drivers can handle this sag, some can't.

5. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Could you please quote a larger section of that article around that qoute.

The first part aggrees with what I said, you can't aim a subwoofer so it doesn't matter if it is down or front firing. However, there are minimum distance requirements for ports and drivers. I don't know the equation off hand but there is one for calculating the minimum distance the driver has to be from the floor or a wall. I think an Adire Shiva is 3" and a Tempest is 3.5", but more is usually considered better. What the purpose of a short distance to a barrier would be I have no idea. As leg length for DIY subs I've always seen given as a minimum, with the caveat that if you can go longer, go longer.

Then the rule of thumb for ports is they should have at least a port diameter of clearance.

7. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

The quote is from section 4 "Place the subwoofer".
    Quote --
    Most subwoofers have most or all of their operating controls on the back panel. Place the sub with the control panel facing you - at least until you make all the conncetions. Don't worry if the driver or port is facing the wall. Bass wave lengths are so long that in most cases it wouldn't matter if you placed the sub backwards or with the driver facing up. In other words, you can't 'aim' a subwoofer. (The exceptions are down-firing subs, where the driver or the port is designed to face floor from an inch or two above it.)-- end of Quote / section.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Hmm, I have no idea what he is talking about in the text you bolded. I too agree TN is the man when it comes to subs. I'd like to see an example of the kind of sub he mentions. I've never heard of or seen anything like that.