Subwoofer Question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MichaelDa, Sep 23, 2003.

1. MichaelDa

MichaelDa Auditioning

I'm building a new system and wanted to see if anyone could give me a few good models to check out based on my setup. The system is in a smaller living room, about 18X14 rectangular. The couch is more towards the center of the room. I have a 7.1 channel configuration with JBL 6.5" in-walls (HTI6) in the front, JBL 6.5" in-ceiling for the surrounds and rears (HTI6C), and a Niles HD-CTR in-wall center. All that's left to purchase is the sub. I was looking at the Speakercraft BassX in-ceiling 1000W sub becuase I thought it would be cool to have it hidden away, but havn't been able to find any reviews on it, and don't know if it would work well with my setup to begin with. I would like something that can really be felt and picks up a lot of the lows. I'm thinking that with the 6.5" all the way around they should be able to handle most of the mids and some mid-low. If anybody has a nice used unit that might work for me I will consider all offers. Any advice will be much appreciated!

2. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

See my post in "Hardware for Sale/Trade" for a near brand-new Adire Rava. GREAT subwoofer but just a little too big for my wife's taste. It's finished in a very nice red oak veneer and might work really well as an "end table" somewhere in your living room. I'm in San Diego and would be willing to drive up to your house with it, set it up, and see how you like it. You like it, I'll drive away w/ $375 cash, a $50 savings over new. You don't, I drive it home and we're both only out a few hours of time.

Let me know. Office phone is 619/652-5107 and I work about 7:30-4:30 M-F.

P.S. One thing about in-wall subs is you're going to need a LOT of bracing, sound dampening etc. or your drywall and studs are going to shake rattle & roll! And not in a way that's conducive to good, clear sound for music & movies.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

If you don't mind diy, consider building an infinite baffle sub.

4. MichaelDa

MichaelDa Auditioning

I'm really liking that idea! [​IMG] I remember hearing about IB subs back when I was into car audio and didn't even put a thought to them in a home! I've done some searching around and that seems like it could really work well.

Do you know if they would rattle the attic or house a lot? I would still need to build a cabinit behind them, right? What would be a good way to power them? so far I've been looking only at powered subs or passive paired with a dedicated amp...

5. MichaelDa

MichaelDa Auditioning

I've been doing some research, and come up with these 2 subwoofers as contenders for an IB in-attic setup.

Dayton IB-
    partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15637688&St=6342&St2=-82628876&St3=-76375104&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=118185&DID=7

Tempest-
    adireaudio.com/diy_audio/drivers/adire/tempest.htm

The Daytons are more expensive, but I've read more about them.

Now my only questions are:
    1) what subs to buy?
    2) what type of amp to power them?
    3) do I need an enclosure behind them in the attic, or is the entire attic used as the enclosure?

If anyone has any answers for me, please let me know!

Thanks!