What's new

Subwoofer question (1 Viewer)

JasonMan

Grip
This is probably a pretty basic question, so I am hoping that you guys can help a brother out.

I recently picked up a SVS 20-39 PCI. I want to integrate it into my system so that it provides the bass for movies AND music. In the past, I ran the main speaker signal through the sub and used the crossover to pick out the low frequencies. This setup allowed the sub to work no matter what the input was, but it did not have any bass management. When I got the SVS, I decided that it would be nice to have some bass management, so I hooked it up to the subwoofer output on my receiver (Yamaha RX-V595), but the sub no longer operates when playing music from the radio or CD. Is there a way to have bass management for movies, yet still utilize the sub for other music sources?

Jason

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
What settings are you using on your receiver? For example, do you have your front speakers set to ‘small’ or ‘large’?

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Jason,

Sounds to me like you need to change your receiver settings so that the main speakers are set to "small" for your music inputs (Tuner/CD, etc.).

I believe most receivers have the ability to set your mains to small for HT sources, but large for music sources. Some prefer this setup (w/o sub for music), but with an SVS, I'd definitely just set your speakers to small for all sources and let the receiver handle the bass mgt. and let the SVS handle the bass.

JKS

PaulDF

Second Unit
Phil, you have got to be the most unique poster here....

Very well organized, thought out, and presented. Wow. No offense to anyone else! ;)

Jason, sorry to interrupt, please continue...

JasonMan

Grip
That was definately an excellent post by Phil. Yet another example of why I love this place. The sub works (embarassingly enough, it worked all along and I wasn't listening closely enough). I just need to work on getting it to blend with my speakers for music - it already does an incredible job with movies. Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a reply and a big thanks to Phil.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Uh, ... gosh .... Thanks PaulDF!!! :b

Your welcome JasonMan - your Yamaha RX-V595 (& my R-V905) is an excellent DD-5.1 AV Receiver, one of the few AV Receivers that had hiss-free dynamics @ or near REF Level while meeting &/or exceeding it's rated specification vs. other MFG's during it's production time. It has real 70w x5 power and feels very solid weighing in @ 27 lbs. 9 oz..

Have a great HT/Music day,
Phil

FeisalK

Screenwriter
lemme echo that... awesome post, Phil

:D I bought the 595a 2 years ago (not sure why the "a" and it's also got DTS decoding) on the strength of a feeling, reviews and user reports... no audition and off the back of someone's car (used - the amp i mean). I still love it (except maybe the silly "DISCO" label)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Thanks FeisalK!!!

I still love it (except maybe the silly "DISCO" label)
Yeah, I agree 100%!!!

Yamaha DSP's though bring life to some old 2-channel & Pro Logic encoded Laser Disc, DPL DVD's and VHS Hi-Fi Movie Tapes, etc. I especially like 70mm Movie Theater for the DLP DVD "The Three Amigos"!!! :)

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks