Subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ali_Techra, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Ali_Techra

Ali_Techra Auditioning

I posted this in the "Basics" section but got no replies. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help:

Hi all, new to the forum.

Anywho, I've checked the "Primer" and did some searching but could not find the answer to my question.

I currently have 2 Definitive Technologies BP2000TLs that have a 15" powered sub in each. Unfortunatly, my Onkyo 777 has only one sub (LFE) output. I've used a "Y" splitter on it now and it works fine.

I plan to eventually add some Tactile Transducers to my system (and perhaps more subs ) and I'm wondering if there is a limit on how many times you can split the subwoofer RCA output?

In car audio they have ratings of the voltage of the pre-outs (ie:4 volts), but I was unable to find such a rating for home theater receivers and was wondering if there is a point of splitting where it will pull too much signal and take away from the other subs?

Thanks!

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Ok, I'll take a stab at this and if I'm wrong I hope somebody will correct me. BTW, I think this is a great question. RCA splitters work in parallel in the circuit thereby maintaining the voltage. Theroetically this means that you could split almost indefinitely. The problem I see is signal degradation from the connectors. I wouldn't want to have more one set of connectors in the interconnect cable. Am I wrong?

3. Ali_Techra

Ali_Techra Auditioning

Interesting. However, does that mean that damage could be caused to the receiver/amp because the voltage isn't dropping? I'm a little sketchy on how this signal would compare to say a speaker signal. I know if you wire speakers in parallel it would increase the resistance of the load and could cause damage. Would the same rules apply to RCAs?

4. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I might be wrong about this, but I don't think you can split indefinitely...

according to the laws of physics you would be asking more and more voltage from the receiver-output by continually splitting the signal, voltage that the receiver probably won't give...

5. TimForman

You're absolutely correct Willem. The number of components (splits) is limited by the amount of voltage provided by the power supply. I'm wondering if the pre-out circuit on the receiver actually "sees" the load from the speakers or is it "seen" only by the amp?

6. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

The line level circuit sees the high impedance input of the sub amp not the spkr load. What this means that a small amount of current is needed to drive the input additionally there will be a voltage drop across the connections but vey minimal. Ultimately the line level signal can be split many times however you are correct is definitely not infinite.
    I hope that helps.

7. Ali_Techra

Ali_Techra Auditioning

So you think a total of say 6 would not have a loss of signal?

8. Mike Poindexter

Mike Poindexter Stunt Coordinator

Ali,

6 what? You have no title in your post.

9. TimForman

Makes sense to me. Thanks guys. Looks like you can drive 4 subs just fine Ali (which I think we knew was the case). It was interesting to learn what the limitations are and why. Thanks for the question.

10. Rex Quinn

Rex Quinn Agent

They probably hit "new thread" instead of "post reply".

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Threads have been merged.

M.

12. Scott_Vonhof

Scott_Vonhof Agent

FYI, I have my sub output on my Denon 3802 split twice, to feed two subs as well as a shaker amp. No problems.

13. Mike Poindexter

Mike Poindexter Stunt Coordinator

You can try to split 6 times and if the quality seems to drop, you can get a distribution amplifier that could handle it for you.

Hey, Scott! I didn't know you were on here, too.

It is my understanding that the best connection is to send the full range signal to each speaker and it takes the powered sub runs its own crossover. My best friend does that with his BP3000TL.

14. Scott_Vonhof

Scott_Vonhof Agent

Yeah, not many posts on here though, about 1/200th of what I have at the other forum. Don't come here as often.