What's new

Subwoofer question (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
My subwoofer often turns off by itself when my recevier is playing at low volumes, but there is still bass comming from the sub. Why does it turn off if there is a signal but that's not very loud?

I set it to always on for now. Would plugging it into one of the AC outlets on the back of my recevier make it turn on/off with the receiver?

And why does the manual say not to plug any A/V components to the rear receiver outlets? I though that's what they were for.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sacha, you seem to be having a lot of problems.

Powered subwoofers often switch into standby mode when there's no low-frequency information coming in after a certain period of time. When the program material does contain low-bass information, the sub switches back into active mode.

As for what the receiver's owner's manual says, it might be helpful if you tell us which receiver it is and what, specifically, the owner's manual is saying.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
If the outlets on the back of the receiver are labeled "switched" than whatever is plugged into them will turn on and off with the receiver.

Those outlets on the back of the receiver are desined to power source components (cd/dvd etc). A subwoofer amplifier would draw more current than one of those outlets could provide, and will eventually shut down.

Anything with an amplfier should be plugged into its own outlet. (a powerstrip is usually okay, exept in some high end installations)

-rob

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Amps, subs, other receivers, TVs shouldn't be plugged into the receivers power outputs (anything that will draw a lot of power). A DVD player, CD player or the like can though.

The auto on feature in your sub is triggerred by the line level signal. It will have some threshhold. If the level in the line is below that threshhold the auto on circuit will trip the sub off. Options are to turn the sub to on all the time (what I do). Turn the sub trim on your receiver up a bunch and reduce the gain knob on the sub plate amp to compensate (might solve the problem). Or live with it.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
It is the Sony DE985, actually I didn't read it right, it says:
Connect the AC power cords of your audio/video components to a wall outlet. If you connect other audio/video components to the AC outlets on the receiver, the receiver will supply power to the connected components allowing you to turn the whole system on or off when you turn the receiver on or off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks