What's new

Subwoofer question/problem...??.... (1 Viewer)

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
I just got an Velodyne Servo F-1000 Subwoofer off Ebay. When I hooked it up I decided to give it a good test. The first movie I put in was LOTR:Fellowship (Opening Scene). It sounds good but when the Bass gets to low it sounds like its poping.... I currently have it set at Volume:4-5 and Crossed Over at: 65hz. Please tell me some good news. Whats going on.

Thanks for any help. Travis:frowning:

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
OK, I've got some good news...

I just saved a load of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

J/K!!! I actually have no experience with Velodyne. I couldn't resist!:D

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You had my attention Mr. Lundy. ;) I just had a 14 1/2 hr day and a good laugh feels good.

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
Literally like "Popping". I know I am not driving the Speaker to hard at less than half its total gain. Any Ideas..?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Have you calibrated the system with the sub using a calibration disc? If not then it is possible you are driving it too hard even with the sub's gain at less than half. Also, does it have a low-cut filter? It may be trying to handle frequencies that are too low for it (although I'm not sure if this would cause popping).

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
my velo just cuts out and the led on the bottom right flashes. but I have to drive it like a dog to get it to do that. the heat sinks are hot enough to hurt my hand.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Travis,

I want to emphasize Seth's point about calibrating. The location of the gain is not a good indication of how much headroom the sub has left. If you calibrated by ear, rather than with an SPL meter, it is possible you’re driving the sub way too hard (and movies like LOTR can certainly push a sub beyond its limits). How large is your room (in cubic feet including spaces with large openings to them)? It’s quite possible also that you have too much room and not enough sub for it (depending on volume levels and material).

-Robb

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
My room is 18 X 18 with two doors in the rear. Ceiling is 10Ft. Sub is firing towards the doors. I just got off the Phone with Velodyne Product Support (FYI - They are not very friendly down there) and let them listen to the Sub. He told me that that model was never meant to be in a HT environment. He said the Sub is not supposed to play that low for extended periods of time. Explosions and such cause it to Chirp as he put it. He told me that there wasn't anything wrong with it that it just was not designed that way. Accustical Room only. This my friends will not do. I poped in a CD and played it (Loudly) and not one "chirp". Sounds very good but I need a dedicated HT Sub. Its headed back to Ebay shortly. :)

Thanks for everyones input. Except for the Geico guy:D ..

Joey_V

Second Unit
travis,
if u ever come upstate a bit - u should stop by and u can hear how an svs sub sounds like... since u will be on the market again - u should check svs out.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Travis,

Yep -- too much room, not enough sub. That is a pretty large space to fill, especially for HT at decent volumes. The best bang for your buck will come from online dealers like SVS (my personal favorite) Hsu, and others.

-Robb

TravisEtherton

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this one for sell on your boards. Velodyne F-1200-R. Would it be any better..? I emailed the guy and can't get through. He's within driving distance from me.

Anyone here interested in it..? I can send Pics if you would like.

Thanks again - Travis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks