Subwoofer Question on Inputs?????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertBritton, Dec 8, 2002.

1. RobertBritton

I just got a new Mirage BPS-400 "this thing is HUGE" to replace my Velodyne CT120 in a Small room 12/14.
    The Question is when I use the LFX input on the Mirage it sounds great but.... no control over volume or crossover. But when I use a Y cable for the left and right inputs I must turn the volume on the back to at least "5" to get the same sound output.
    The velodyne I had the volume turned to "5" and the LP filter set to 120Hz and used my Yamaha 795a's crossover to send everything below 90Hz to the Velodyne and it sounded fine. All speakers set to small and sub to yes.
    The question is the Velodyne was only 120 watts....(yes I know that ported design give more output) and the Mirage is 400 watts. I just thought that if I used the left and right inputs the same way as I was with the Velodyne I would not have to turn the volume on the Mirage up as high as the velodyne was.

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Wattage, SPL and sensitivity are three different issues.

Even if the efficiency of both subs were the same, a "5" on one would not mean that it would be the same as on the other one.

As long as you can achieve the sound levels you want and it sounds good, I would not worry where the level controls end up at.

3. Ryan.w.d

Ryan.w.d Auditioning

A good rule of thumb that I always used is as long as your gain adjuster has not been turned up past 3/4 and you are acheiveind your desired sound, than you have enough power. Also make sure polarity is set up properly and the speaker was set to the same phase ( 0 or 180 ) as the Velodyne.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I'm guessing the "LFX" input on the Mirage is a direct input, yes? If so, I would just use that and not bother w/ L and R inputs and all those settings. Plus, you're getting more volume on the LFX input.

On subs w/ just a L/mono and R input, people usually find that they get more volume using a Y-adapter at the sub and feeding both L&R. This isn't your situation since you have the LFX input, so I would just use that.