Subwoofer question.. Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Robertson, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

I live in an apartment and have a fairly cheesy sub. An Eosone 10" 70 watt that doesn't go very deep at all and loves to bottom out on many bass heavy movies. I actually kindof like it for music, but movies it sucks at.
    Anyways, would it be possible to have a new sub that can extend furthur down (say reach 25hz or so), but not be so loud as to get me kicked out of my place. Whenever I see someone talking about subs, lowness and loudness go hand in hand. I just want the low. Sonically, does this even make sense?
    I don't suppose anyone knows of a sub that has a flat response down into the twenties, but doesn't necessarily shake the walls. Of course again, I don't know if that's even theoratically possible.
    ------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

2. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

It seems to me that if you get a sub with a fairly flat response, then you could keep the overall volume lowish, and still get the full range bass. I mean that defines a flat response right? Having relativly equal output at most frequencys regardless of listening level.
    What I'm saying is that it seems that with a good sub you should be able to get good low frequency respose at any volume level you choose.
    Somebody thats been doing this for more then a few months and havesomething a bit nicer then a crappy SA-WM40 want to set the record strait?

3. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don't think a sub would have objectively poorer response at lower volumes. However, subjectively, you can't hear bass very well at low volumes (the ear is less sensitive to bass). To really sense it fully, it needs to be at a high level.
    ------------------

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

IF a given SPL is maintained,the lower the freq the farther it tends to travel. However, it's also possible to go from a >40hz and up woof to a sub capable of say 20hz extension...and ultimately have the overall levels of the sub lowered a bit to reach the same level of enjoyment(as you're hearing/feeling a whole extra octave now).
    To minimize interaction with adjoining spaces...try placing the subwoofer as close to the key listening seat(s) as possible.
    I'd think about auditioning a good budget subwoofer and see if adds to your enjoyment...without causing complaints.
    TV