Subwoofer purchase subwoofer modification tips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I currently have a KLH ASW10-120 10" 120Watt powered subwoofer. I'm satisfied with the power, but not quite satisfied with the clarity. I currently have the cabinet stuffed w/ cabinet stuffing and the port plugged with some socks. This has taken away some of the boomy echo sound, but the bass still isn't tight at high volumes.

Does anyone know of any tuning/tweaking/modifying i can do to what i currently have to improve performance? Could i replace the coated paper driver with a poly or aluminum car audio type driver? What will happen if the impedances are different?

If not, i'm interested in the Sony SA-WM40 and the JBL PB-10. If i get a new sub, my price range is around $200 shipped or purchased in a store, since it will be a birthday present. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Do a search of the forum on using car audio drivers or replacing drivers in subs. The topic has come up regularly.

And some of the best HT sub drivers use a paper cone (although always treated with some other compound such as kevlar). Being poly or metal won't make it sound better. As long as the cone is stiff, strong and light it won't matter. The motor and surround are much more important to the sound. And the enclosure is just as important as the driver.

3. CarlDJr

CarlDJr Stunt Coordinator

You might want to read the reviews of the Sony sub at AudioReview. It has a lot of ideas about tweaking that would also apply to your KLH.
    http://www.audioreview.com/Subwoofer...7_2741crx.aspx
    Here is a link to the Rockford Fosgate site. I couldn't find the RFZ3810 (8 ohm version of the speaker recommended in the Sony reviews) on the Rockford Fosgate site (they only list the 3410 4 ohm version). The second link is to a dealer that has it listed but this is not a recommendation for them, just for your info. You might be able to find a local dealer that has it or can get it for you.
    http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/2002home/
    https://www.onlinecarstereo.com/cara....asp?sku=11322
    Yes matching the impedence is important.
    [​IMG]

4. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

Hey maybe I could sell you my pb-10 for maybe $150? when is your birthday, I wouldn't be looking to sell it for a few months (2-3), I will hopefully be upgrading to a Velodyne HGS-10. It's in great condition.

Daniel Smith

5. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    Instead of stuffing the insides with polyfill, you should probably just line the interior with fiberglass, I have used the the stuff they sell at Radio Shack. Just staple or glue it to all the walls within the enclosure. Another thing that seems to work is to to put a cement slab on top and bottom of the sub.(or slate). Of course, at high volumes, you may just be hitting the high distortion limit on your sub's amp as well. Also, remove the stuffing from the port.

Replacing the driver would require getting a sub that has the specifications to work in the size enclosure you have. There are a lot of differences between drivers, and the sound you get could be worse.

6. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Focal makes nice driver. (car audio, JM labs) I have seen them as low as $599 CDN. That's like $15 USD?? haha
    I have not heard the Sony SAWM40, but I have heard the JBL. Very bad sub. 12 inch JBL is also bad. [​IMG]

7. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Didn't care for the JBL nor the KLH sub. The Sony sub, IMO, bested both of them.