What's new

subwoofer producing a crackling sound (1 Viewer)

darvin

Auditioning
I have a 2 mos. old subwoofer but recently I figured out that it is producing a crackling sound especially on loud volumes while watching movies. The volume level of the sub is just set to 11 o'clock, what is that crackling sound.

- What's wrong with my subwoofer?
- is my subwoofer already damaged?
- Do I have to return it to the store?
- Is it not yet breaked-in?, how long does it take to break-in a subwoofer?

Any suggestions?

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
The volume level of the sub is just set to 11 o'clock
You cannot draw any correlation between the sub level setting and power output. It's all dependent on the incoming signal level. With enough drive signal, you can easily push the sub into overload even with the level control at 9:00. With a low-amplitude drive signal, you might need to have the sub level at max but still not be able to reach full output.

darvin

Auditioning
Dave Milne

Actually I just lowered down the volume of the sub and the crackling sound is gone. But I'm worrying that maybe the sub is already damaged, there's no way for me to push the center of the sub because I can't take out the grill. Can I tell if the sub is damaged by the sound it's producing?, I think the sound from the subwoofer is still ok.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
If it sounds fine at lower volume, then you should be fine. But then again... it sounds like a good excuse to upgrade to a beefier sub :wink:

May I suggest the Everest :emoji_thumbsup:

darvin

Auditioning
Actually I didn't realize until today that even if I lowered down the volume there's still a crackling sound, it always appears on explosion scenes during movies but on normal scenes it's not there. What do you think should I do, help me out pleez

itai

Stunt Coordinator
darvin
your sub is busted! take it to the store, and replace it man! (yeah, better upgrade, so it wont happen again!...)
:emoji_thumbsup: good luck!

darvin

Auditioning
steve nn

I already lowered down the volume on the sub and on the receiver but it's still the same, the thing is sometimes it's there sometimes it's not there.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Darvin it's going to go from bad to worse. Your driver is kuputs. That sound will be there all the time very soon.

It would be helpful if you told us what sub we are dealing with here. I understand your frustration but there are a few things on your part that you need to address.

1> Get a calibration disc.
2> Pick up a meter at Radio Shack.

Many if not most subs will not handle what I perceive you are asking of your sub. If you had a beefier sub you would most likely be much better off. Still you need to calibrate first and then get to know your sub. If you take just a little time and care you will learn the limits of your sub. There are subs with limiters also to ward off bottoming if this is what you will require.

I see you are a new member and thats great. I remember quit well when I was and compared to many I still am. I think you would find it very helpful to go on over to the (HT Basics Area) and open up the link at the middle of the page (beginners primer and FAQ).

When I started out in HT with a 8" Kenwood sub it was fairly easy to bottom it out. I quickly learned what it could take so I wouldn't fry it. With what I run now it is of no concern. My head would implode before I blew a driver. I still calibrate though and for many reasons.

If you have the opportunity to trade in your sub and upgrade at the same time this would also be beneficial if you can swing it?

darvin

Auditioning
steve nn

The weird thing is that sound is not there before even on high volume level on the sub, but now even if I lowered down the volume it's still there. Is there a possibility that the sub is already bad or damaged.

darvin

Auditioning
steve nn

I guess I have to return the sub to the store, since you mentioned your old 8" sub not good enough, does it mean that all 8" subs are not good enough for ht. I kinda worried coz I might replace my sub with a velodyne cht-8, what do you think?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
What size room are you on Darvin and what sub do you have now? Will you be picking up your next sub at the same place as the one that just bit the dust? Are you locked in sort of speak to that retail option? Is it Circuit City?

I want to recommend the DLS sub at Parts Express. You could pick up two of these for the price of a CHT-8".

There are other options also but lets see what your answers are to the previous questions first.

darvin

Auditioning
Actually I'm not in the states I'm here in the philippines and my sub is just a cheapo 10" sub. My room is just 10x10 ft. so I think an 8 incher is just enough, and yes maybe I'll get the velo cht-8 on the same store.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
In a 10 X 10 room placed in a corner the 8" Velo should do ok. I used to run a couple of the 15" Velodynes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks