What's new

Subwoofer Problem (1 Viewer)

Chris_Cham

Auditioning
I have a Hsu research sub and I have had it for about a year. Recently I moved to an apartment and when i hooked it up to my onkyo and turned it on it made a constant low bass humming noise. I can adjust the volume of the noise, but cannot get my subwoofer to function properly. I tried changing cables and got a grounding adapter, but the problem still exists. The sub worked fine at my house, and the setup is exactly the same, so I can't figure out why it is not working. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea why this may be happening. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

LauriM

Auditioning
Ok, this might be too simple, but no offense meant.. :b

Is your receiver or tv connected to antenna/cable? If so, try disconnecting it and if the humming stops, get a ground breaker.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, did disconnecting the cable solve the problem? If so, you need an isolation transformer. Check with Radio Shack. I ordered mine from www.partsexpress.com part#180-075.

If your sub is just humming and does not make any sound during playback, you have a different problem.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Is it one of their seperate 250w amps? If so, is it in a black enclosure, or a plate amp with a home-brew back cover?

I have gone through two of their original 250w models. First just flat quit, and was replaced under warranty. No.2 started going intermittent on me one day, and would emit all sorts of unpleasant noises. Warranty was well over, but Dr. Hsu offerred my their current 250 plate amp at cost.

It continues to work well, but both fingers are crossed!

As John said, if its just garden variey humm, that is usually cureable with either a simple cheater plug or other means.

But if it also won't produce any bass, then I think you might want to call or e-mail Hsu. Even if its out of warrnty, they might be able to help; they certainly took care of me in a satisfactory way.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks