What's new

Subwoofer problem? (1 Viewer)

Mike Chambers

Auditioning
I have had a JBL pb-10 10" subwoofer for about 6 months. I recently moved and when i went to hook the subwoofer up, it no longer works.
When i turn it on, there is a very low hum (this is normal). However, as soon as the receiver turns on and the sound comes on, the subwoofer omits a constant loud hum. It does not play any of the sounds from the receiver.
anyone have any idea what might be the problem? I was very careful moving the sub when i moved (i moved it in my car instead of having the movers take it.).
i would appreaciate any input. I really dont want to shell out a couple of hundrer dollars for a new sub.
mike c
mesh AT speakeasy DOT org

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Mike,
How do you have it hooked up? One sub cable, or speaker line in?? I'm assuming you've set up the receiver the same way as before you moved? (sub is set to "ON" on the receiver etc)
I've read that some of those JBL subs have had problems with their amps, but not sure if the PB10 was part of that group of troubled subs.
Let us know a few more details and we can maybe solve the problem for you.
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed
[Edited last by Alf S on November 18, 2001 at 09:37 PM]

Mike Chambers

Auditioning
I have it setup with the single cable (lfe). sub is set to on. it is set up the same way that i had it setup before i moved.
I have an onkyo 575x receiver.
hope that info helps... i am a little frustrated (i jsut got a new 32 " wega and now i have no bass).
mike c

Mike Chambers

Auditioning
just a quick fyi. i just got off the phone with jbl support, and they said that it sounded like a blown capacitor, and was covered under warranty.

luckily, i found the recipt, so aside from the 2-3 week work time, i should be good to go.

mike c

Mike Chambers

Auditioning
Just wanted to finish the thread and let everyone know what the problem was.

I took the subwoofer in for warranty service, and they replaced the power amp module.

not only does the subwoofer work now, but the low hum that had always been present is now gone.

thanks for the help...

mike c

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks