Subwoofer Problem in Analog 5.1 Mode on Kenwood VR-7070

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ryan_Walsh, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Ryan_Walsh

Ryan_Walsh Stunt Coordinator

For some reason, I cannot get any sound from my subwoofer when trying to listen to dvd-audio in analog 5.1 mode on my new Kenwood 7070. The manual has been less than helpful and am looking for any help from the forum.

I have 3 pairs of audio cables leading from my analog 5.1 outputs of dvd-a player to the anlog 5.1 inputs on my receiver. Also have a digital coax out from dvd to receiver. The sub is connected to the sub pre-out of the receiver. Receiver is set to 6ch mode.

Thanks in advace for any help. Merry Christmas.

2. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

Is your Digital coax going to the DVD6CH "digital coax" input aswell?

If your DVD6CH input is set up for "AUTO" the digital well always over ride the analog even if there is no output from the digital.

Try selecting the DVD6CH input to Analog or unpluging the digital coax temporarly and see if that works. If that works you need to move the digital coax to Video 3? or change the DVD6CH input selector every time you listen to DVD Audio.

Rick

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Don't forget that DVD-A and SACD have subwoofer levels that are approx 10db lower than regular DVD's. Many users have found that if they compensate for this difference that their subs were working all along but just playing way too low.

Does your player have the ability to crank up the sub level output? Some newer receivers, such as Denon, have a separate sub level adjustment just for this 10 db difference on the External Inputs.

Try making the adjustment and let us know what you find out.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Quote:
    If your DVD6CH input is set up for "AUTO" the digital well always over ride the analog even if there is no output from the digital.
    I don't know about the Kenwoods, but most receivers switch to an analog direct mode for the preamp inputs.

Quote:
    Don't forget that DVD-A and SACD have subwoofer levels that are approx 10db lower than regular DVD's.
    My guess is that this is the problem. A number of new hi-res players have compensation for this built in (selectable).

5. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

It is very common for dvd_A discs to not have a sub track and to a lesser amount a center track even when they say 5.1

This had me confused when I first started into DVD_A

6. johnsky

johnsky Auditioning

set your front speakers to small,i had the same problem with my set up.