subwoofer power

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Hey all,
    I have a subwoofer with it's own power source and power switch. The other day, I moved it from the back of the couch to the right front corner. The problem is, the sub's power switch is now hard to get to (small room, stuff in the way, etc).
    I was wondering if other people here have the same problem. If so, how do you deal with it? Do some people just leave the sub on all the time?
    Another question: what exactly does the polarity switch do?
    Thanks much,
    Mike

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Not knowing the brand and model, which would be helpfull can only give basics that most powered sub have.
    -------
    There should be a power ON & OFF switch, right you new that.
    -------
    Most powered subs have a stand-by position that allows the sub to be turned on when triggered by senceing a signal from your AV-reciever or pre pro. Usually on the sub this position is called or labled as auto or standby. Could be the center position on the power switch or even a seprate switch. When in the auto or standby position the sub will turn itself on and off according to Seeing or Not Seeing a signal. After a short period of time, (5-20 min) of Not seeing a signal, varying buy make, the sub will go back into standby. Some sub do this well and others not so well. Meaning that it will ckick on and off during soft passages in movies where a LFE signal in not present for longer periods. Running your gain on the SUB amp higher and controling the vol with the reciever can sometimes help or get rid of this problem.
    Hope this help you get a better grip.
    Check you manual to see if your sub offers this feature! It should as most powered sub do....
    Polarity or Phase~ it inverts the
    + and - on the driver. Putting the sub 180 degrees out of phase with the signal being sent to it.
    in short experiment with switch it back and forth. Always going back to your listening position to check. The strogest bass responce regrdless of where the switch is, is where you want to leave it. When your sub is away from the mains, maybe in the back of the room or along a side way in between front and rears this can be helpfull. There is no right or wrong switch position. The strongest bass is the psition you want regurdless of switch position! This can sometimes make for a substanual increase in bass output.
    Regards
    Geoff

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Thanks.
    I'm using a B&W ASW 500.
    It seems like my sub doesn't have the standby feature.
    The power switch is just ON/OFF. There's the volume knob and the phase switch. That's it.
    I guess I'll just have to turn it on and off manually every time I watch a movie.

4. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

Until I found out that it was not the best thing to do (and I'm still not real sure why ), I plugged my sub into the convenience outlet on the back of my receiver. Whenever I turned the receiver on the sub came on too. Seemed to work just fine. TJW

5. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    Just leave your sub on all the time. I've done this with various subs for YEARS and not had any problems.
    As noted, plugging subs into outlets on one's receiver is NOT usually a good idea. They often can draw more power than most "convenience" outlets can handle.
    Ron