Subwoofer: Power vs Quality

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DanLake, Sep 13, 2004.

1. DanLake

DanLake Auditioning

When you you people consider recommending a larger more powerful sub over a smaller less powerful one. I would assume it has a lot to do with the size of the space and personal sound preference (larger = more boomy?)

Not to get into which components are better, but for example $300 subs such as:

15" Cerwin vega
    12" JBL/Infinity/Polk/Velodyne
    10" Athena
    8" Hsu

And even some of the same brands such as a lower end JBL versus a 'professional' grade one

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Well, I'd bet some of those 12" subs will go deeper in addition to playing cleaner than a 15" Cerwin Vega. Recommendations have to do with room size, bass extension(how low), and how clean the bass it produces is. I'll take the 8" Hsu over the 15" Cerwin because I know the bass the Hsu has will be clean and tight. If a driver can't handle rapid sound changes it is what is referred to as muddy. It has to do with how attack and decay sound.

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Cerwin Vega, god they make shitty subs! Absolutely atrocious!

But id rather have one of those puke boxes sitting in my room then Jack G [​IMG]

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I have a feeling Jack G feels the same. [​IMG]

6. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

Hey Dan:
    People around here recommend larger more powerful subs because like anything else you get what you pay for. If you want to save a little cash you have to figure out the strengths and weaknessess of the less expensive, subs before you buy.

The one loophole for guys in the U.S. is that HSU and SVS make really good subs that will often outperform more expensive subs.

7. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

larger does not necessarily mean 'boomy'

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The other thing about larger subs (I'm referring to the box size not the woofer size) is that most of these subs are engineered to produce a more accurate sound across the bandwidth of a sub vs the peaking of the 40-60 hz bandwidth that most poor subs are designed to over emphasisize.

9. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

"the peaking of the 40-60 hz bandwidth that most poor subs are designed to over emphasisize" = boomyness

10. stephen shadow

Not necessarily. Sometimes these subs can sound tighter by emphasizing the mid/upper bass and rolling off any deep signal under 40 hz.

11. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

As does Dayton for those of us who are on an even tighter budget. [​IMG]

brad cook

12. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

So who can recommend a nice TIGHT, accurate sub for a 13' by 11' room at under $500 Canadian (about $350 US).

I myself am not big on BOOMING. I just want it to make the sound it's supposed to. tight enough to accurately follow the strum of a string bass.

13. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

14. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure how good that new sub is from Creative Sound Solutions, I have not heard anything about it.

Paradigm stuff is a good buy in Canada (for around $200 more you can get what you are after in the PW2100). But that is $200 more than your budget. I suggest looking around for used paradigm gear, who knows what you could turn up. Try to find a used PW2200 and you will be laughing!

500 bucks will get you a decent sub here in Canada but I don't think it will get you a tight and accurate one. Good luck and let us know what you turn up!

15. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Here it is at Adire's main American manufacturer. Note they've got it with a more expensive 250W amp. Just keep in mind you have to double watts for every 3dB of volume increase.

Heck, at $370 delivered to the US and reaching mid to low 20's at +/-3dB in sealed sub! I think we've got another great contender in the under $400 category on paper. Edward or Craig need to test one of these babies out.

If you go Paradigm do not buy in the PDR line it isn't of the quality of the rest of Paradigm's subs.

16. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

There's a lot involved in determining what's a good sub for you most being subjective. Room size is a good issue, placement for optimum performance etc. Included in your decision is purpose (music or movies), volume levels as well as current speakers. Larger is not always better and power is as good as the sub's ability under the above mentioned circumstances. Smaller subs can accomplish the same thing or not, therefore you should evaluate your layout, size of the room including ceiling height, floor type (carpet, wood or concrete) and of course budget.