What's new

Subwoofer potentiometers (1 Viewer)

ilikeknives

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn Larsen
Would someone please explain what the 2 pots on the back of my sub are for? What are the optimal settings, and, what do they do? I have one pot that ranges from ?Hz to ?kHz and one that says phase and ranges from 0 to 180 degrees. What is the difference between hooking up my receiver to one of my sub (LFE?) inputs, or using the y-cable all the cables seems to come with and using it to hook up to the 2 audio inputs. Is one better? I have been advised to just use the LFE in to my sub1 out on my recv, however, all subs I have seen at my buddy's houses are hooked up with a y-connector. A bit confused at that. Lastly, has anyone heard of NHT subs, are they good? Thanks, these forums have answered many questions for me. I will be sure to pass on my knowledge when the time comes.:emoji_thumbsup:

Terry St

Second Unit

The first control that is in terms of frequency is probably a crossover, although it's a little strange for a sub crossover to go up into the kHz range. This dial will control the frequency at which the sub starts kicking in. If you hook up your sub using a y-cable from your mains then you probably want to set this crossover around 80 Hz. If you use the LFE output from your receiver, then the receiver should (hopefully) handle the crossover and you may want to set the crossover on the sub rather high to make sure it isn't interfering. Both methods should work, but hooking your sub up to the LFE output of your receiver is probably a better idea unless your receiver has a crap crossover.

As for subs, I'm sure many here will be happy to share their favorite brand. SVS and Hsu are usually highly recommended. I use a Paradigm Servo-15, which I love, but it's not as cheap as it used to be. I have no experience with NHT subs.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a note Glenn. It is bad style to start a thread, ask a question, receive answers and never return to the thread. You've done it 3 times now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks